Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 AM   #1
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Does "Balaclava Company" A&S Highlanders still have pipers?

One of my favorite Highland regiments, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (eventually downgraded from a regiment to the the 5th Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland) was unfortunately reduced to one company for ceremonial duties, "Balaclava Company", in 2012. In videos of them on Youtube, they are seen on parade being led by the well-turned-out Pipes and Drums of the Highlanders (4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland) or by the military band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. But do they still have any pipers of their own?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
aboode
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Does "Balaclava Company" A&S Highlanders still have pipers?

5 SCOTS have not had a pipe band since 2013; Scott Methven was their last Pipe Major.
I had a look at the 2019 Journal of the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the report on 5 SCOTS mentions that with the help of the Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the combined pipes & drums of the 1st and 2nd Battalions the Regiment re-established its ceremonial reputation in London. It also mentions a successful Beating Retreat and Cocktail Party at Victoria Barracks, supported by the Ballater and District Pipe Band.
No mention of 5 SCOTS having any pipers.
aboode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
5 SCOTS have not had a pipe band since 2013; Scott Methven was their last Pipe Major.

No mention of 5 SCOTS having any pipers.

What a pity.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Adam Sanderson

There are the Balaklava Pipes and Drums, who are based at the 51st Highland Division T.A. in Stirling. They are a Regimental Association "volunteer" pipe band and play A&SHA engagements, Armed Forces Day, as well as on the esplanade of Stirling Castle throughout the summer.

The last time I saw the 5 SCOTS in the flesh, in the summer of last year, they were being led by the Pipes and Drums of the Highlanders, (4 SCOTS), which was more pleasing to the eye and ear.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #5
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
There are the Balaklava Pipes and Drums, who are based at the 51st Highland Division T.A. in Stirling. They are a Regimental Association "volunteer" pipe band and play A&SHA engagements, Armed Forces Day, as well as on the esplanade of Stirling Castle throughout the summer.

The last time I saw the 5 SCOTS in the flesh, in the summer of last year, they were being led by the Pipes and Drums of the Highlanders, (4 SCOTS), which was more pleasing to the eye and ear.

Ah, yes. Now that's a well-turned-out pipe band if ever there was one. I love the P/M's beard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdklLoEvjw
Old 03-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

What I don't understand is since Balaclava Company was put on Civic Duties it seems obvious that they would need a Pipes & Drums.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
What I don't understand is since Balaclava Company was put on Civic Duties it seems obvious that they would need a Pipes & Drums.

That I think was the original logic, but in practice I suspect it turned out they spent an awful lot of time without public engagements, which might be deemed inefficient. Not sure. I don't really know what their workload looks like.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote