Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Drone "loudness"

If a competition band is trying to get the loudest sound from their drones do they tune them at a different frequency or all the same? I'v heard that some PM's will tune them one or two hertz differently to make it appear as if the drones are louder than they would be if all were tuned at the same hertz.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone "loudness"

All that will do is produce out of tune drones.

I think this rumour is due to people speculating about how a particular tone is produced, like the infamous Shotts "fuzz" tone of the late 90s.

If you want louder drones, user louder drones and reeds.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I concur with Calumll.

I think 2hz is just enough to hear the beating, its not a lot, but why would you want to be slightly out of tune just to be louder? Doesn't make sense in my book.

Paul
Old 06-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
I concur with Calumll.

I think 2hz is just enough to hear the beating, its not a lot, but why would you want to be slightly out of tune just to be louder? Doesn't make sense in my book.

Paul

..and any dis-harmonics would cancel out any overtone harmonics.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

..and any dis-harmonics would cancel out any overtone harmonics.
Absolutely. Really, I would think with more precisely tuned the drones to each other, the resulting harmonics would be more likely to "seem" louder (i.e. as opposed to otherwise). I'm no sound mechanic though, that's just my thinking.

The scenario described by the original poster sounds like a case of hearsay-run-amok to me. An easy thing to happen, depending on who's listening to whom.

I'm reminded of a rather difficult beer tent discussion I was involved in when I was with a pipe band (I think I was probably pipe sergeant and "tuning guy" at the time).

I was explaining to an interested beginner piper about placing tape on the top of a hole to flatten a note, which takes advantage of a) making the note farther from the reed, and b) smaller hole. The beginner piper then asked "so if you place tape on the bottom, does it make the note sharper?"

Before I could speak, another fellow (I think was a drummer) in the tent interjected, saying "yeah, of course it does! I play clarinet, and all kinds of instruments, and that's what I do to sharpen notes! It's the same principle!" I was quick to correct him, for the sake of the beginner, though the man kept insisting he was correct in his logic. I later had to sit down privately with the beginner, and carefully discuss why putting tape on the bottom will only flatten the note, but less-effectively.

I don't know what that fellow was playing at, but have to say, the misinformation he was spewing really got my goat.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Drones tuned to the same exact frequency will be louder than drones tuned even slightly out. It might see, at first, to be the opposite, especially as you're trying to tune your own drones, but that's because when they're out of tune you hear a harshness of beating that you don't hear when drones are exactly together. That harness may be misinterpreted as loudness to the inexperienced.

Add to that the non-musicians' idea that louder is always better, many people who don't know any better, will just play as loud as possible, even if it means being grossly out of tune and sounding horrendous.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

...yeah,...some BD's like to...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

Two hertz is enough to sound very out-of-tune. The just-noticeable difference for simultaneous pitches is well below 1 hz for people with normal hearing.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

As an aside, the speed of the beating is equal to the difference in Hertz between the drones. So drones at 478 and 479 will beat once per second.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
HighlandPark
Forum Clasp

Great info here, all, thanks for the illumination.