Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #41
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Ackland 480 Drone Reeds - Play Test, Comparison, & Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Jenni, how strong are your chanter reeds? FWIW, I think Terry's reeds are fine for a lot of pipers, but they did not work out for me playing a senior/easy reed. ( disclosure: I'm over 70 and had two hernia operations last year, so no need for anyone to coax/nag/harangue me into playing stronger reeds).
Klondike,

My reed strength is 30-32. Do you think that's too low for the Overtone's to get the rave reviews others are experiencing?

Of interest, my 2 friend's who ordered sets of Overtone's play about 25-27 (a lady in her 70's with COPD) and the other plays 35+ reeds so it will be fun to see what happens in their Atherton Premier and Legacy drones.

Jenni

Last edited by burp birl; 06-05-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added "Of Interest" sentence.
burp birl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #42
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
Klondike,

My reed strength is 30-32. Do you think that's too low for the Overtone's to get the rave reviews others are experiencing?

Of interest, my 2 friend's who ordered sets of Overtone's play about 25-27 (a lady in her 70's with COPD) and the other plays 35+ reeds so it will be fun to see what happens in their Atherton Premier and Legacy drones.

Jenni
Jenni: I play the same strength you do (30-32), FWIW...
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #43
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
Klondike,

Jenni
I would expect 30-32 would be right in the ballpark. I've been playing senior easy (somewhere around 25, I think) for a couple of years now, since the first hernia showed up.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #44
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm hoping tonight will be the night I get to hear how the Ovetones do in the other Athertons. The guy with the stronger reed is currently playing the Kinnaird Edge reeds and the older gal is playing the original Kinnaird. It will be interesting to hear a sound comparison with the Kinnaird's.

I tried original Kinnairds once in my pipes and they were also loud and buzzy. I tried EZ's and they were okay and will do as a back up. Given all the good reviews for the Overtones and the great price on them, I had to give them a try.

I have a set of "Thought to be" 1870 ebony Frasers (per Mr. Doug Forsyth)
that these reeds might be awesome in, given the large bores and bright ebony sound. I'll need to give the reeds a blow in the drones and may just get excited enough to buy a new bag for them and resurrect them from the dead.

Jenni
Old 06-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #45
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to listen to my friend try out her Overtone reeds (she didn't want to) and the other guy didn't show up last night so doing a reed comparison didn't happen.

I DID plug in my outside Overtone to show them how I wasn't too fond of it and I managed to hit the plug and it sank all the way in. I pulled it out to where I thought it was the last time I played and I double checked the strength and made a minor adjustment but got them in my pipes straight away so we could have a listen and a "I hear what you're saying about the buzz" acknowledgement and get on with our practice.

I tuned the outer tenor to the middle tenor (Rocket) before sounding the chanter. I was amazed. Both reeds sounded almost identical!! WHAT HAPPENED? I have no idea. But I liked it and so did the other 2 people I was with. The only real difference is the room I was in. I was in a tall vaulted ceiling room versus my 70's era low popcorn ceiling bedroom. Maybe I need to buy a new house? Will give another try at my house tonight...

I have to change my opinion of the Overtone's though I think. Last night it was nice!!

Jenni
Old 06-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #46
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Plugged the bass in for a few minutes to get it dialed in.

I definitely like the sound of it. Iím just not sure if I like it more than the sound of my Evo bass reed. Maybe Iím just too accustomed to the sound of the Evo reed?

Either way, I need this COVID thing to end so I can go to band and have someone else play my pipes with both sets of reeds and combinations of them so I can really hear what they sound like. A recording from my iPhone only tells me so much.

If youíre curious to hear the recordings you can hear them here and here. Setup is 2005 Dunbar ABW pipes, Overtone tenors and either Overtone or Evo bass
Old 06-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #47
T.Ackland
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi Jim,
a $50 set of reeds vs a $100 set, should be interesting, glove em up.
Terry
T.Ackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #48
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Ackland View Post
Hi Jim,
a $50 set of reeds vs a $100 set, should be interesting, glove em up.
Terry
Definitely a big fan of your reeds so far, Terry. Will be playing the tenors for sure. I only got maybe 5-10 minutes on the bass, so the juryís still out on that one.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #49
Army MP
Forum Regular

Just my two cents,

I play a set of the MacRae Repros from McCallum. I have mainly played Ezee in all 3 drones. They go "ok" with Kinnaird Evo. Not a fan of Selbie in them but they are older reeds. Of course I swap around bass reeds, but who doesn't! Now then, these Overtone tenors...WOW. More depth and harmonics than the Ezeedrone but not the buzz I get from the Kinnaird Evo. They produce a very full solid tone. Dare I say it bold, but not overbearing like some reeds. The bass goes very well also, but I am still tinkering with it slightly to dial it in. All three reeds are very pressure stable. I overblow and let up some on purpose and find that they do not drop off drastically, or rise in pitch. Very steady and solid in tone.

I have also played the Overtone tenors with the Ezee bass, the Evo bass, and a cane reed and found that they all compliment the tenors very well at least to my ears. It has to do with what sound or characteristic you are looking for in your bass drone really.

Overall, great reeds and for the cost I would dare say they could go up against some of the mainstream products any day.
Army MP is offline   Reply With Quote