Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default Advice on 'basic' restoration (tarting up) of old pipes

Hi all,

As reported elsewhere, I have recently taken delivery of a lightly used set of D. Naill DN0 model pipes and I should be receiving a brand new set of Henderson PH01's within the next couple of weeks.

Until now I have been playing a set of blackwood (I am fairly certain) pipes which may or may not have been made in Pakistan. These have been discussed elsewhere on the forum also and the general consensus is that they are of Pakistani origin although I do still have a tiny doubt over this simply based on the fact that they seem to be pretty well finished pieces of woodwork although the projecting mounts are certainly not made from very nice material. It's an almost translucent cream white plastic that makes no attempt to actually imitate ivory.

I had originally decided that my old pipes would meet one of two fates as follows:

1. Hang 'em on the wall as purely ornamental (This would mean I would have to bung one of my good chanters in to complete them as I don't have any old duff ones)

2. Flog 'em off on ebay starting at 0.99 and see where they go.

Now the problem is that I am a bit of a sentimental old fool and, despite the fact that they probably ain't Scottish or of 'the First Water', they have served me well through lean times and earned quite a bit of money for me when I was cornered and forced to play for weddings and other functions (I'm pretty much the only piper in the village so sometimes I find I can't refuse to perform without being rude)and, in all honesty as drones go they don't have a bad sound so I find myself choking up and gettin' all tearful when I contemplate selling them for a few beans that will only go on everyday life.

This being the case I am looking for ideas and advice on a low budget way of removing the old chipped, scraped and generally bashed around lacquer and possibly a cheap(ish) solution for replacing the nasty projecting mounts. All recommendations and advice gratefully accepted thank you. If there are any talented woodworkers in the Northern Cowal area who fancy having a go at cleaning them up for me I'd love to hear from you ?8^)

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 07-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.
MacTallanambeann is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Advice on 'basic' restoration (tarting up) of old pipes

Just realised that I posted this in 'Beer tent' when I had meant to post it in 'Technique and Instrument'.

Not sure which is the more appropriate but if I am in the wrong could a passing moderator move it for me?

Thank you
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nah... Leave it here... You're probably best off in
The Beer Tent... because the more beer (or drink)...
the better the flow... of ideas... and advise... :)

(We're all a lot smarter after a few... Right?? :)

As they have served you well... lean times and fat...
for my part... I would keep them... and keep them
close... rather than cast them out and off upon The
Great Sea of Unknowable Happenstance...

Save some coin... and have them inspected... to see
what they really might be... and have them gussied up
a bit... hang them in an honorable place in your home...
and take them down and play them every now and then...

As we are here talking about it... I think that you shall feel
the better for it... and somewhere down the road... you
might even pass them on to someone... in bereft financial
circumstance... who is trying desperately to learn...

Just some thoughts... but it's your call...

All the Best!!

Last edited by Pip01; 07-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I have actually spent a small amount of time taking the old hemp off the old pipes and inspecting them. I gotta say that, in comparison to two more recent sets of Pakistani pipes it has been my displeasure to have to deal with a few years ago for some local kids, these pipes are rather well finished and, what's more, comparing them with my new (to me) Naills, the bores of the lower parts of the drones are pretty much identical in diameter although one of the drones on the old pipes is fractionally narrower in bore. The only other difference in dimensions is that the lower parts of the unknown drones are shorter (around 5mm) than the Naills. All three drone tops are separate rings of pitch black wood which I am guessing is ebony. I presume this was done so that all three tops (or more) could be turned from one billet of a bigger cross section meaning that the rest of the drone could be machined from a piece of wood with a smaller cross section, very economical.

I reckon that, if I can get all the old varnish/lacquer off, oil the wood with some nice poppy, walnut or linseed drying oil and locate some decent projecting mounts they are worthy of continuing to enjoy life.

Anyone know where I could get some 'off the peg' projecting mounts (I'd love some in purple marble or green malachite look plastic) that I could stick on and how best to remove the old projecting mounts as, although a couple are loose enough to remove the rest seem to be pretty solidly in place.

Last edited by MacTallanambeann; 07-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.