Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: Piobaireachd tunes set in B minor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
The exceptions are always fascinating.
Much agreed!

I'm definitely among those who are fascinated by the sound of a Bminor scale along with the 'A' drones. Wonderful sound (provided the chanter is well-tuned, if B-D-F aren't well-set, then B minor tunes definitely lose the impact they would have otherwise).

All very interesting thoughts and information being circled around in this discussion, thanks to all for your input.

Cheers.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
There are people ( a minority) who experience minor as brighter - perhaps because it 'matches' their default setting, and they feel a sense of relief in that, hence happier and brighter in the way THEY hear it.
The grad student who taught my theory for non-majors class said that he found minor keys happier. Nor sure if happy was his exact word -- it was a long time ago.

I heard an interesting story on the radio a few years ago. Some researchers studied the keys used in popular music, and they found that minor keys are becoming more and more popular.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/04/160548...onal-evolution
Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #13
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Some researchers studied the keys used in popular music, and they found that minor keys are becoming more and more popular.

.....as people become more and more depressed about the state of the world??????? I look forward to listening to the link you give us....
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
The grad student who taught my theory for non-majors class said that he found minor keys happier. Nor sure if happy was his exact word -- it was a long time ago.

I heard an interesting story on the radio a few years ago. Some researchers studied the keys used in popular music, and they found that minor keys are becoming more and more popular.

I sat in on a music theory class for musicians and composers without formal music education. An American teacher from West Texas taught. The class was almost all Arab, and a few Jews. One evening when discussing minor keys, the teacher said as established fact that minor tunes were melancholic, mournful, mysterious, and even maudlin. Many students chimed in the opposite, noting many Arab and Jewish tunes of joy, festival tunes, nursery tunes etc. in minor keys. Thus did culture intervene in basic theory. The teacher was unconvinced until a few student leapt to their feet singing examples.

The poor teacher was an inscrutable occidental with brooding byzantine manner. He went back to his major world and left us minor fellows to ourselves. It's a mixed mode world!

Last edited by David; 12-21-2016 at 10:12 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It's a mixed mode world!
Thankfully!
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
One Key will blend better with the drones and another will not.
For sure that used to be true.

Listen to older recordings and hear the sharpish D, the way piobaireachd tunes that frequently feature the note D have a strident calling effect (I don't know how else to say it).

And how on older recordings the B and Low G beat against the drones (on many old chanters these notes were at or close to their ET locations).

But nowadays most pipers have every note of the chanter tuned Just, and every note blends with the drones perfectly. Yes each note is a different interval, but the beatless blending is the same for all.

Much is lost, and much is gained, with the new tuning approach.

Whether it's piobaireachd, or strathspeys, or reels, I tend to like the archaic-sounding tunes in G Lydian (or at least suggest a G Lydian tonality).