Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Practice chanter off key

I think you should invest in a high quality Practice Chanter by a legitimate UK or North American maker, off the top of my head Naill, McCallum, Dunbar, Gibson, the new RG Hardie, and so forth.

It's my opinion that the Gibson long PCs, when combined with the Gibson reeds, are more musical-sounding than most. The reed is more like a Northumbrian Smallpipe reed, short and wide and square-ish, as opposed to the traditional PC reed which is narrow and long.

Here's what two off-the-shelf polypenco/delrin Gibson long PCs with Gibson reeds sound like when played together, musical and smallpipe-like in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4lw8-3Jf9w

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-08-2017 at 04:05 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Steve Law
Forum Regular

At risk of thread drift, I have so say WOW!....that doublepipe instrument is something I've never seen before and sounds wonderful.

Is it really 'standard bagpipe fingering'? Looks like the top holes on one side are taped over...is that accurate observation?

Worth a whole thread of its own if you'd consider sharing the background and how it was built...
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
diefenbaker
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

There is a pipe organisation in the netherlands, here is the link to the list of bands http://www.novdb.nl/?page_id=45&lang=nl
You can contact a band which is nearby. Maybe you can find yourself a teacher (always very helpful) or they can help you to find a local dealer (don't know if there is one in the netherlands).
Otherwise the shipping could be more expensive than the reed. Here in germany http://kiltsandmore.de would charge 8,5 for shipping to EU while the reeds cost between 4-5.

Good luck, Christoph
diefenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
I've recently bought some lovely pc reeds by post from Martin Cowell at David Naill Bagpipes here in England.
If I remember correctly they were about 3.50 each, which I thought very reasonable, and 4 out of 4 work fine with nice tone, right out of the box....
I hadn't known that Naill did reeds - none evident in their website. How did you order those? And what PC are you using them in?

As for pancelticpiper's vid, Steve perhaps you should start a separate thread on it - it sounds (haha) like a fascinating subject onto itself.

OP, does the seller sell other kinds of PCs, ones which are from more reputable makers? Perhaps you can do an exchange. Or trade it for other bagpipe related products that won't give problems like drone cords or bagpipe covers, etc. You owe it to yourself and the time you'll want to spend on the learning to do it on an instrument that you will not always be suspicious of.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Steve Law
Forum Regular

I wanted a new pc so called Martin at DN, having long admired the sound I'd heard around events...had a great chat with him discussing what I'd like and what he could offer...including 'what reeds do you recommend with your pc?'. He said he had a supplier so I asked for some in with the pc, that's all...

I use them in the new DN pc, but they also work fine in my ancient cracked Hardie, which I've glued up and bound with tape(!)...my other good pc is a McLeod, bought as a present so I've no idea where Dad (now 95) got it from maybe 10 years ago (certainly wasn't online as Dad doesn't do anything more electronic than the telephone )

I'm hoping panceltic will start the thread on his double chanter - I'd be most interested and certain many others would, but I can't start what I don't know anything about :-)

I've sought out some very impressive youtubes prompted solely by panceltic's references, although have to say some lack blowing even-ness and while the musicianship is mindblowing to me (knowledge of music terminology and scales etc, and so much more), I still see too many who confuse fast with good....far too many play stuff at high speed and sacrifice accuracy. I like fast, but only when it's accurate. (Sorry, more thread drift )
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I lived in Hilversum,NL for a few years in late '90's ..... had a student who had to order his PC from Shepherd. I linked up with the Beatrix PB.

These days I'd swag it might indeed be more economical to order a good brand one from within the EU ( DE)...or take a drive.

Good advice here so far points to get a (competent) instructor and try for a return of the knock off PC thru eBay's purchase protection.

Good luck.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Is it really 'standard bagpipe fingering'? Looks like the top holes on one side are taped over...is that accurate observation?
So as not to veer offtopic on this thread, here's the thread about these things http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=130358

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-10-2017 at 03:46 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 AM   #18
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Understood....thanks for the steer; I'd never have found it from that thread title
Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
David D.
Forum Regular

I've had luck with Walsh reeds with this type of chanter. Some of them sound OK but as mentioned above, you will be better off with a proper chanter in the long run.

Also keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with a plastic/poly chanter. Regular sized poly practice chanters are quite reasonable in price.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #20
Chris C.
Forum Regular

One problem I had with an older, 1980's era Lawrie PC was the bore needed to be cleaned.

Maybe run a pipe cleaner through it a couple times. Junk in the bore might affect the way the reeds work.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote