Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
crazycatlady
Forum Regular

Default Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Hey everyone,

Just curious but did anyone ever hear about a MacDonald family piper at Culloden. I just read somewhere that the pipes are preserved at Glenaladale in Loch Sheil. Iím interested because Iím a direct descendant of the Glenaladale MacDonaldís that came to Prince Edward Island in the 1770s.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
Hey everyone,

Just curious but did anyone ever hear about a MacDonald family piper at Culloden. I just read somewhere that the pipes are preserved at Glenaladale in Loch Sheil. Iím interested because Iím a direct descendant of the Glenaladale MacDonaldís that came to Prince Edward Island in the 1770s.
You may know this very interesting article, not about the pipes (I would like to see pictures if you have them!) but about the fragments of the Glenaladale chief's plaid worn at Culloden which also came to PEI in the 1770's. It is one of a fairy small number of tartans with a more or less doubtless connection with the battle. A beautiful sett, by the way:
https://glenaladalepei.com/2014/08/0...ladale-tartan/
Most pipes attributed to Culloden appear to be later than 1745, or of doubtful origin. Like Waterloo, there seem to be more surviving pipes from the battle than were ever played on the field. Not very likely considering the brutal punishment inflicted by the government troops. Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
K Sanger
Forum Regular

Glenaladale's piper at Culloden was a Donald Campbell who after the battle was taken under the wing of Campbell of Carwhin and moved to his service at Ardmaddy. Donald was probably the originator of the written form of canntaireachd later developed further by his son Colin.

Presumably Donald Campbell's pipes would have also moved to Ardmaddy since Glenaladale had been wounded at Culloden and was initially a hunted 'rebel' while his home had been destroyed so the likelihood of any pipes from that period ending up in the later rebuilding is unlikely.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

....can we check to see if the original sales receipt is in the box.?......
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Michael New
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
Still extant? If so, where can this fence be seen?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
K Sanger
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
....can we check to see if the original sales receipt is in the box.?......
Well the nearest I can get to that one is a receipt for a violin bought by Clanranald in 1736 for his violer John McIsaak who was one of the six fiddlers in the Jacobite army in 1745.

For bagpipe receipts or rather accounts it is possible to 'span' the period with a couple of purchases of pipes in the 1670's along with a number of replacement bags every couple of years. There is then a jump to 1712 although strictly speaking the pipes bought then were second hand. It then jumps again to 1727 before a receipt in 1748 on the other side of Culloden.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
crazycatlady
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
You may know this very interesting article, not about the pipes (I would like to see pictures if you have them!) but about the fragments of the Glenaladale chief's plaid worn at Culloden which also came to PEI in the 1770's. It is one of a fairy small number of tartans with a more or less doubtless connection with the battle. A beautiful sett, by the way:
https://glenaladalepei.com/2014/08/0...ladale-tartan/
Most pipes attributed to Culloden appear to be later than 1745, or of doubtful origin. Like Waterloo, there seem to be more surviving pipes from the battle than were ever played on the field. Not very likely considering the brutal punishment inflicted by the government troops. Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
It was just this past summer that I went home to PEI for a visit (currently live elsewhere) and I met a cousin I didnít know about, I think sheís mentioned in the article. From her I found out Iím a direct descendant and Iím currently waiting the arrival of my new kilt in the Glenaladale tartan.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
crazycatlady
Forum Regular

This is where I saw something about the pipes.

http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...e_pioneers.htm
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
SLCPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael New View Post
From a quick look on "the google," it appears that the Duke of Cumberland had around 150 blades taken to Twickenham House. They are no longer there, as the house was demolished in 1888.
SLCPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald Send a message via Skype™ to John MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael New View Post

The remnants of the Garden Gate can be seen in the museum at Culodden itself