Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
crazycatlady
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
Default Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Hey everyone,

Just curious but did anyone ever hear about a MacDonald family piper at Culloden. I just read somewhere that the pipes are preserved at Glenaladale in Loch Sheil. Iím interested because Iím a direct descendant of the Glenaladale MacDonaldís that came to Prince Edward Island in the 1770s.
__________________
...that's why we play the bagpipes and not the harmonica.
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France
Posts: 2,128
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
Hey everyone,

Just curious but did anyone ever hear about a MacDonald family piper at Culloden. I just read somewhere that the pipes are preserved at Glenaladale in Loch Sheil. Iím interested because Iím a direct descendant of the Glenaladale MacDonaldís that came to Prince Edward Island in the 1770s.
You may know this very interesting article, not about the pipes (I would like to see pictures if you have them!) but about the fragments of the Glenaladale chief's plaid worn at Culloden which also came to PEI in the 1770's. It is one of a fairy small number of tartans with a more or less doubtless connection with the battle. A beautiful sett, by the way:
https://glenaladalepei.com/2014/08/0...ladale-tartan/
Most pipes attributed to Culloden appear to be later than 1745, or of doubtful origin. Like Waterloo, there seem to be more surviving pipes from the battle than were ever played on the field. Not very likely considering the brutal punishment inflicted by the government troops. Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
__________________
Glenurquhart
Glenurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
K Sanger
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 276
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Glenaladale's piper at Culloden was a Donald Campbell who after the battle was taken under the wing of Campbell of Carwhin and moved to his service at Ardmaddy. Donald was probably the originator of the written form of canntaireachd later developed further by his son Colin.

Presumably Donald Campbell's pipes would have also moved to Ardmaddy since Glenaladale had been wounded at Culloden and was initially a hunted 'rebel' while his home had been destroyed so the likelihood of any pipes from that period ending up in the later rebuilding is unlikely.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 4,987
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

....can we check to see if the original sales receipt is in the box.?......
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Michael New
Super Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
Still extant? If so, where can this fence be seen?
__________________
Esse Quam Videri
Michael New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
K Sanger
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 276
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
....can we check to see if the original sales receipt is in the box.?......
Well the nearest I can get to that one is a receipt for a violin bought by Clanranald in 1736 for his violer John McIsaak who was one of the six fiddlers in the Jacobite army in 1745.

For bagpipe receipts or rather accounts it is possible to 'span' the period with a couple of purchases of pipes in the 1670's along with a number of replacement bags every couple of years. There is then a jump to 1712 although strictly speaking the pipes bought then were second hand. It then jumps again to 1727 before a receipt in 1748 on the other side of Culloden.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
crazycatlady
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
You may know this very interesting article, not about the pipes (I would like to see pictures if you have them!) but about the fragments of the Glenaladale chief's plaid worn at Culloden which also came to PEI in the 1770's. It is one of a fairy small number of tartans with a more or less doubtless connection with the battle. A beautiful sett, by the way:
https://glenaladalepei.com/2014/08/0...ladale-tartan/
Most pipes attributed to Culloden appear to be later than 1745, or of doubtful origin. Like Waterloo, there seem to be more surviving pipes from the battle than were ever played on the field. Not very likely considering the brutal punishment inflicted by the government troops. Authentic Culloden pipes stolen from the dead would rather be found on the side of the victors, like the 250 broadsword blades from the battlefield converted into a garden fence in London.
It was just this past summer that I went home to PEI for a visit (currently live elsewhere) and I met a cousin I didnít know about, I think sheís mentioned in the article. From her I found out Iím a direct descendant and Iím currently waiting the arrival of my new kilt in the Glenaladale tartan.
__________________
...that's why we play the bagpipes and not the harmonica.
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
crazycatlady
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

This is where I saw something about the pipes.

http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...e_pioneers.htm
__________________
...that's why we play the bagpipes and not the harmonica.
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
SLCPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 27
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael New View Post
Still extant? If so, where can this fence be seen?
From a quick look on "the google," it appears that the Duke of Cumberland had around 150 blades taken to Twickenham House. They are no longer there, as the house was demolished in 1888.
SLCPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Base Borden Ontario + HAMPSHIRE - ENGLAND-UK
Posts: 1,796
Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald Send a message via Skype™ to John MacDonald
Default Re: Clan Ranald bagpipes played at Culloden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael New View Post
Still extant? If so, where can this fence be seen?

The remnants of the Garden Gate can be seen in the museum at Culodden itself
__________________
J.A.B.MACDONALD
John MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM.