Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: What pitch do you tend to have when competing solo?
480 or higher 12 19.05%
476-479 33 52.38%
471-475 12 19.05%
470 or lower 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #31
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Competition pitch, solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Was at a workshop recently. Jack Lee suggested that hG should never have tape. He said if you need tape on hG then open the reed up and shave it down as necessary to eliminate the tape on hG.

He didn't spell out why, exactly, but I suspect it is because it's important to get the right sound from the hG gracenotes, since they are so critical to good piping.
Right on ... I was holding this back, but that seems to be the only near-complaint on the Gandy chanter so far ... hG seems to run sharp, at least at first. They actually comment on this on the website (http://www.brucegandymusic.com/index...nter-blackwood) ...

"the high G is slightly flatter and I caution folks to be careful at the beginning of any new reed, as almost every reed I have tried tends to be sharp on high G until the reed gets a bit of play into it."

This has proven quite true for me so far, so I've neglected futzing with the reed, for the time being. Sure enough, I'm gradually reducing the amount of tape on the hG over time.

As for "why" ... I can tell you, when I first got the chanter reeded and balanced, the hG had a tendency to chirp if there was too much tape on the hole. I'd get 4 minutes into a piobaireachd ... I'm feeling great, playing well .. all of a sudden, a God-awful "CHIRP!" emerging at the end of the Dithis Doubling ... maddening.

It's been less of an issue more recently. I swapped in a slightly stiffer reed .. again, as it's played in, the hG has been coming down. For the moment, there's about the top 1/3rd covered. If that stays much longer, I may shave it a tid, as you suggest.

Anyways, very helpful insight .. thank you!

Cheers.
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #32
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Competition pitch, solo

High G is usually notoriously high-pitched at higher and drier elevations. Too much tape can result in chirping g-grace notes on low A. For this reason, I would qualify Jack's statement to suggest that tape on high G should be kept to a minimum if it cannot be eliminated at all.

Charlie