Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
stackmayer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Mystery tune - Bill Wakefield "Tunes in C"

Do any of you recognize the tune that begins around 1:07?

https://soundcloud.com/bill-wakefield/tunes-in-c
stackmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb
Default Re: Mystery tune - Bill Wakefield "Tunes in C"

I've asked him, we'll see what he says. The man is a true gem.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackmayer View Post
Do any of you recognize the tune that begins around 1:07?

https://soundcloud.com/bill-wakefield/tunes-in-c
...listening to it....is that not the same common ending as the tune he started with ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

I had a few moments chat with Bill. As he recalls the tunes, Initially there was Tom Clough's Spirit of the Border, followed by three tunes off of a vinyl compilation album of Hamish Moore's called Cauld Wind Pipes, that had been learned by ear some time ago. Bill thought that it might have been tunes in order perhaps "Old Bean Waltz", "The Red Herring", "Thinkin and Daen", and so on. If you had real interest, look at the album notes and go from there. Bill is an absolute master of variation sets, so it may take some listening.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
stackmayer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post
I had a few moments chat with Bill. As he recalls the tunes, Initially there was Tom Clough's Spirit of the Border, followed by three tunes off of a vinyl compilation album of Hamish Moore's called Cauld Wind Pipes, that had been learned by ear some time ago. Bill thought that it might have been tunes in order perhaps "Old Bean Waltz", "The Red Herring", "Thinkin and Daen", and so on. If you had real interest, look at the album notes and go from there. Bill is an absolute master of variation sets, so it may take some listening.
Thank you so much! This is a fantastic lead. It does sound like the first tune is "Spirit of the Border." I couldn't find Moore's versions of those other tunes, so I just went ahead and purchased the Cauld Wind Pipes LP. I'm desperate to learn this tune! Now I just have to hit up a friend with a record player once it arrives.

Thank you again for reaching out!
stackmayer is offline   Reply With Quote