Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Best drone reed starting again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Some synthetic drone reeds does not work so well (or not at all) in some pipes (bores), but do all cane drone reeds work in any bore design (since there were only cane in the pre-synthetic days)?
But some bores like ‘fat’ cane reeds....others like thin ( small diameter) cane reeds.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
But some bores like ‘fat’ cane reeds....others like thin ( small diameter) cane reeds.
Ah, I didn't know that.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Alain Marion
Forum Regular

Hi!

I would recommend either Kinnaird Evolutions or Crozier Carbon Fiber.

Crozier makes several models, and I've tried them all over the years (Crozier Fiberglass; Cane; V2s; Omegas), but in my pipes, the Carbon Fibers have always sounded and performed the best. They are also very air efficient.

In my opinion, pipers wishing to enhance the presence of their bass drone -while at the same time "improving air consumption" - should give the Crozier Carbon Fiber a try...

Alain
Alain Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
stephen Maroney
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Best drone reed for returning to piping

I am also returning to piping after a long time off. My pipes are Naills from the mid 80"s and have 21/64th bore in the bottoms. Mr. McIntosh ( I think ) set them up with reeds that looked fatter than the reeds we could get later. Nothing ever sounded quite as good as the ones he used. Any ideas or recommendations on who I can contact for good quality reeds?
stephen Maroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #15
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Hi Plainspiper -

I'm a newb, and play Dunbars (blackwood). Air effeciency is a concern for me too because I'm a light blower, and get winded quickly when playing a band issued reed (G1) - probably in the easy to easy/medium range. I play a very easy reed in my solo chanter.
What I found was that Kinnaird Evolution reeds use a bit less air than Selbies, but Selbies were easier to calibrate to a very easy reed. Those two brands, along with cane, are all that I've played. Now that I'm built up to a pipe band reed, I've put in the Kinnairds, which came with the pipes because Dunbar recommends them, and my setup uses a bit less air, even though I'm playing at a higher pressure. I put them in one at a time starting with the bass, which is where I noticed the most difference. The harmonics and balance are also different, Kinnairds have a bolder bass and maybe a stronger fundamental tone. In the hands of a much better player I suppose that would be more noticeable. I'm not knocking Selbies - they are smooth and practically bullet-proof in terms of reliability, and allowed me to play a well calibrated set-up while building myself up, and some might prefer their tone. I don't know what the difference in efficiency would be playing a much higher pressure.
Anyway that's my limited experience trying to save myself a few breaths. I played cane for awhile, which used even less air, but I haven't been able to keep them going on a daily basis, so I have them in a ziplock bag for when I can play more regularly.

Something I wonder about is what are all of the parts of the instrument that can affect volume of air used? Or air demand as some say. I mean playing at the same pressure - say you blow at 26 inches of water for example, what are all the factors for how much air is used? Assuming an airtight instrument of course. I found a thread on here about chanter reed efficiency and many seemed to think that Warnock chanter reeds used less air than others, for example. Do some makes of chanters use less air somehow? Drones?

Last edited by DapperDan; 04-15-2018 at 06:37 AM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I would be all ears to know this as well. I mean, some reeds are easier than others depending on how they were made or tweaked, but I really wonder how some of them are just flat out easier with air overall.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Something I wonder about is what are all of the parts of the instrument that can affect volume of air used? Or air demand as some say. I mean playing at the same pressure - say you blow at 26 inches of water for example, what are all the factors for how much air is used? Assuming an airtight instrument of course. I found a thread on here about chanter reed efficiency and many seemed to think that Warnock chanter reeds used less air than others, for example. Do some makes of chanters use less air somehow? Drones?
I don't know about chanters, but I will say that some drones are more air efficient than others. A few years back, I borrowed my then-PM's Athertons for a competition. When I put my drone reeds in from my Dunbars, I had to close them down quite a bit to keep from wasting air. When I put the reeds back in my pipes, they would shut down, so I had to open them back up a little to keep them playing.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #18
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Very glad to read this myself, I got some Kinniard Evolution easy strength reeds on order. Glad to know they go well with Dunbars