Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
ScotFiddler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Travelling to Scotland

I've travelled lots - including staying ten months in Scotland - and this is how I do it.

Use credit cards when necessary and make sure the transaction is run in the local currency. If they don't ask your currency preference then you tell them. If they run it in US dollars you'll pay significantly more in exchange fees.

Make sure your ccard company knows you'll be travelling.

Avoid the currency exchange counter at the airport. Their rates are atrociously poor! Opposite advice of what's given above... Sorry about that. Just go to an ATM and withdraw as much cash as you can to minimize the impact of the transaction fee. My bank refunds ATM transaction fees - maybe yours does too?

Make sure you know what the exchange rate is. Be an educated consumer of currency conversion services and you can check for yourself if you're getting a decent deal.

And make darn sure you go the The Merchant Chippy! Best F&C in the Merchant City area, and very affordable (and a reasonable walk from the Glasgow Green). If you're by the College Of Piping on Otago St then trip down the stairs to the Inn Deep.

Happy travels!!
ScotFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #12
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
....BEFORE stepping off the curb....
Oh, you mean kerb
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post

Oh, you mean kerb

Ya know...I was going to use that spelling.....but specifically recalled in the early '70's reading that the spelling had officially been changed to my choice ..in a leading 'world standard' dictionary,....along with one or two others similar 'mis-spelled' ( ..spelt?)' words.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Traveling, we have a copy of picture section of passport. In event of loss, never happened, helps with replacement.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Ya know...I was going to use that spelling.....but specifically recalled in the early '70's reading that the spelling had officially been changed to my choice ..in a leading 'world standard' dictionary,....along with one or two others similar 'mis-spelled' ( ..spelt?)' words.
Hahaha...curb/kerb's all in keeping with all the "look right" advice So, par for the course.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post

Hahaha...curb/kerb's all in keeping with all the "look right" advice So, par for the course.
.....ha...I remembered the other word they changed.... 'tyer'...on a car
Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
SweetDrones
Forum Member

I agree with taking out as much cash as you can carry from the ATM. However, if I remember rightly, some British ATMs also charge for the provider of the ATM.

Another possibility is simply to take USD and buy GBP from exchange bureaus (some have better rates). Generally buying currency in its home country is usually cheaper. Saves charges. When I have to buy exotic currency, I usually go to for example Forex (my bank have an agreement with them) and they let me take back any unused cash after the trip.

Personally, if travelling for the university, I pay large bills like hotels with my debit card. Also if it is something I need a guarantee on.

I also always carry enough cash to purchase a public transport ticket to a hotel, the first night in the hotel (if it is not already paid up), and enough for a meal or two. I keep that on my person - in case I loose my card or have another problem with it (one conference I actually forgot my card in my office, and got to the foreign country concerned without it)I have somewhere to go, stay, money to eat until someone can wire me cash. A little cash in the destination currency (in this cash GBP) can be useful if everything is closed when you get to the airport and the bus only takes cash but not foreign currency. Small change is better too, some busses refuse to take big notes.

I keep my house keys, passport etc. on my person. Should my luggage not make it to the connecting flight on the way home, or an emergency occurs (I once was caught in an IRA bombing) I don't have to worry too much about luggage.

There is such a thing as prepaid credit cards for travellers, but I have never used them. However, as a European, I check that my card is set to be allowed to be used in the country that I am visiting. I have also known some places where international cards were not so easily accepted, so cash was required.

Phone cards you should be able to get a cheap international prepaid.

Finally, make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance!
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDrones View Post

Finally, make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance!
...including check ur home auto insurance to avoid car rental insurance charges if ur already covered.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
SweetDrones
Forum Member

Something else I just remembered which could prove useful.

When I was once at Edinburgh airport, at a new coffee shop waiting for my flight, the owner saw me playing my Fagerstrom and asked what I was doing. When I mentioned bagpipes he asked if I would consent to play in the coffee shop in return for a free slap up meal.

I am mentioning it because those airport food places cost an arm and a leg and it might prove valuable to pipers.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #20
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDrones View Post

Something else I just remembered which could prove useful.

Me too....; the airline idjits at Glasgow somehow 'forgot' to charge us the depart tax when we checked in for our homebound flight.

Unaware, my buddy and I were off in the airport buying a few trinkets and a pints with leftover cash from our 4 day junket...when the loudspeaker asked us 45 min later to return to the desk. Doh!!!

We had about $8 left between us after scraping up and paying the belated departure tax. Ya gotta watch those guys...!