Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Graineag
Forum Member

Default Information about Jorj Botuha's pipes?

The other day, I was listening to Patrick Molard's solo album of Breton piping "Biniou Braz", and I was struck by the gorgeous sound of the pipes that Patrick used on the album. The drones in particular were magnificently rich. Perhaps they were recorded with greater care than the average piping CD, but I have no doubt that Patrick would play nothing but a top-quality instrument. The liner notes say that the pipes were made by Breton pipemaker Jorj Botuha with a chanter and chanter reed by Hubert Raud (who, based on a search of archived posts, makes reeds for Botuha).

My French is a bit rusty, but on Botuha's website, it says that each set of his pipes can be based on different 19th century models (Henderson, Lawrie, or MacDougall). Does anyone know more about the pipes Patrick played on the recording (it came out some time ago--late '90s, I think) or more about Botuha's pipes in general?

Here's a link to Botuha's website: http://www.jorj-botuha.com/index.asp

And since we're on the topic, are there other pipemakers in Brittany making great instruments that most people outside of Brittany aren't aware of? (I know about Pierre Blanchet, but it seems like his pipes would be difficult to get hold of overseas, unfortunately.)
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Ar Soner
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Information about Jorj Botuha's pipes?

Jorj's pipes are very good instruments.

Raud is retired and reeds are now produced by Lo´c Denis.
Ar Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
SweetDrones
Forum Member

I think a friend of mine plays a set by RenÚ Francois (sorry, no "cÚdille" key on my keyboard). Sounds nice.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #4
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graineag View Post
The other day, I was listening to Patrick Molard's solo album of Breton piping "Biniou Braz", and I was struck by the gorgeous sound of the pipes that Patrick used on the album. The drones in particular were magnificently rich. Perhaps they were recorded with greater care than the average piping CD, but I have no doubt that Patrick would play nothing but a top-quality instrument. The liner notes say that the pipes were made by Breton pipemaker Jorj Botuha with a chanter and chanter reed by Hubert Raud (who, based on a search of archived posts, makes reeds for Botuha).

My French is a bit rusty, but on Botuha's website, it says that each set of his pipes can be based on different 19th century models (Henderson, Lawrie, or MacDougall). Does anyone know more about the pipes Patrick played on the recording (it came out some time ago--late '90s, I think) or more about Botuha's pipes in general?

Here's a link to Botuha's website: http://www.jorj-botuha.com/index.asp

And since we're on the topic, are there other pipemakers in Brittany making great instruments that most people outside of Brittany aren't aware of? (I know about Pierre Blanchet, but it seems like his pipes would be difficult to get hold of overseas, unfortunately.)
Pierre Blanchet is a highly skilled craftsman, he was a professional turner when he starded making pipes. His production is unique, as he makes precise reproductions of at least two dozens of original sets including pre-classic pipes from the late 18th and early 19th century including Donald MacDonald, Malcolm MacGregor, Thomas and Alexander Glen and (hopefully soon) Allan MacDougall/Perth. Patrick Molard owns and plays one of his copies of the Donald MacDonald set in the NMS, including a reproduction of the original chanter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAimHOA3As).