Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Charity pipes

This is probably a real hopeless question- but I've got two students coming to a free weekly class my band gives, they're a husband and wife- both college students, just had their first kid, and they're both playing great on their practice chanters.

They're ready for pipes, have been for months, but haven't got the money. They're trying to save up for a single set to share between them, but the progress of saving up is very slow in their situation.

Any charitable pipers out there with some spare set, or even spare parts, they'd be willing to donate to the two? I've got a lathe and some tools, I can fix up a junker set or assemble a Frankenstein set.

Figured I'd toss the question out there, see what comes of it... Thanks, friends!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Charity pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
This is probably a real hopeless question- but I've got two students coming to a free weekly class my band gives, they're a husband and wife- both college students, just had their first kid, and they're both playing great on their practice chanters.

They're ready for pipes, have been for months, but haven't got the money. They're trying to save up for a single set to share between them, but the progress of saving up is very slow in their situation.

Any charitable pipers out there with some spare set, or even spare parts, they'd be willing to donate to the two? I've got a lathe and some tools, I can fix up a junker set or assemble a Frankenstein set.

Figured I'd toss the question out there, see what comes of it... Thanks, friends!

I actually recently promised my spare set to a friend for his young son, who is ready for pipes. They've yet to claim them though. I'll keep it in mind, and if things change, you'll be the first to hear about it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I actually recently promised my spare set to a friend for his young son, who is ready for pipes. They've yet to claim them though. I'll keep it in mind, and if things change, you'll be the first to hear about it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extremely kind of you, thanks very much!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Perhaps you're connected to one of the bands in your locale. If not, would contacting them be an option? Some bands have spare sets and/or members who have multiple sets or are not playing much.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Perhaps you're connected to one of the bands in your locale. If not, would contacting them be an option? Some bands have spare sets and/or members who have multiple sets or are not playing much.
That's a great idea, thanks very much!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
SweetDrones
Forum Member

Personally I borrowed a cheapo set from a friend at band when I was flat-broke and learning. Did so for a couple of years, until I had a job and money to buy my own set. I am eternally grateful.

Having said that, what is their budget? I am asking because since I got the sax, I have been planning to sell my tinker set of pipes on the cheap (playable, but battered set of Sinclairs) and I have a student who is flying back to Provo, Utah, on 16th june.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDrones View Post
Personally I borrowed a cheapo set from a friend at band when I was flat-broke and learning. Did so for a couple of years, until I had a job and money to buy my own set. I am eternally grateful.

Having said that, what is their budget? I am asking because since I got the sax, I have been planning to sell my tinker set of pipes on the cheap (playable, but battered set of Sinclairs) and I have a student who is flying back to Provo, Utah, on 16th june.
Hey, cool- I'll see them tonight and mention it, ask them what they could afford. Just for the sake of getting info back and forth efficiently, do you have a target price you'd like to hit, or a minimum amount you'd need?

Transportation would sure be convenient...

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
SweetDrones
Forum Member

I was kind of thinking round the 300 GBP mark complete with bag, chanter etc - basically the cheaper end (that is why I bring up the matter, along with you being located in Utah). Basically they have some hairline cracks under the ferrules, a bass drone cap that is a cheap replacement, and a crack at the end of a tenon (currently under the hemp) - before being owned by me they were owned by a child to learn on. I have not attempted to do anything with marine glue to the cracks - I did originally take them to Alasdair Sinclair but I think that I might have given him the impression that I thought the set he made for me not good enough, so I did not push it. So definitely not a pristine set. Aside from that it is a delicate looking, elegant little bagpipe, lightweight, full dark orange catalin with blackwood mounts.
It comes with an old green canmore bag, bag cover, cords (I think the latter two might be original from the 50s too...), poly McCallum chanter (that looks unused), a mismatched McCallum mouthpiece (but I have a spare black one somewhere) and the original blowstick (which has a crack in the mount, but not the pipe).
I will also check with my student that he is flying back to Provo and not to Canada (he is Canadian studying at college in Provo on exchange with us) and enquire with him as to the possibility of him taking them with him.
I have just not gotten down to listing them in the classifieds section yet.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDrones View Post
I was kind of thinking round the 300 GBP mark complete with bag, chanter etc - basically the cheaper end (that is why I bring up the matter, along with you being located in Utah). Basically they have some hairline cracks under the ferrules, a bass drone cap that is a cheap replacement, and a crack at the end of a tenon (currently under the hemp) - before being owned by me they were owned by a child to learn on. I have not attempted to do anything with marine glue to the cracks - I did originally take them to Alasdair Sinclair but I think that I might have given him the impression that I thought the set he made for me not good enough, so I did not push it. So definitely not a pristine set. Aside from that it is a delicate looking, elegant little bagpipe, lightweight, full dark orange catalin with blackwood mounts.
It comes with an old green canmore bag, bag cover, cords (I think the latter two might be original from the 50s too...), poly McCallum chanter (that looks unused), a mismatched McCallum mouthpiece (but I have a spare black one somewhere) and the original blowstick (which has a crack in the mount, but not the pipe).
I will also check with my student that he is flying back to Provo and not to Canada (he is Canadian studying at college in Provo on exchange with us) and enquire with him as to the possibility of him taking them with him.
I have just not gotten down to listing them in the classifieds section yet.
Sounds great, I'll check with my students tonight- thanks, friend!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Someone in the Facebook group Bagpipes for sale or swap just posted a set of Lawries for 300 (not sure if GBP, USD, or CAD - they're in Canada but everything on the page defaults to GBP). Might be worth looking into.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote