Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #1
carter140
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Tuning question for Andante Reactor with Coretec heads

Perhaps I'm not using the right Google search terms and are searching the site incorrectly. Question is, if you use the JK (Jim Kilpatrick) tuning block, own an Andante Reactor, and use Andante Coretec batters, which number level on the block do you take your head to? Question's open to anyone who uses the Block.
Also, did you use the block for tensioning the bottom head too? If so, share your process. I really hate blowing out bottom heads when tuning and I was hoping the use of the block would reduce this a bit. I have zero money for a drum dial.
DISCLAIMER: Yes I know "tensioning" is different than "tuning"; and if possible, stay away from "just use your ears". One should always do that no matter the method
carter140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning question for Andante Reactor with Coretec heads

My understanding is drum dials are only for tenor drums.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
carter140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
My understanding is drum dials are only for tenor drums.
Yeah I've never actually USED a dial on a snare, just our tenors. I read about that on a drum corps forum site. Im trying to get a safe, widely-used, or average dial number from actual users.
This IS the right spot, right? It's my very first ever post here.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

The Drum Dial is used on the bottom snare head to set the tension of the head at each lug. I generally set it to 2 rotations plus 87 on the drum dial.

As for the tuning block on the bottom head, I use it only to ensure that the head is set square on the head. That is, the head is not being pulled down on one side more than the other. After the head is square I turn each bolt 1/8 turn in a crosswise pattern to ensure the head stays square, using the drum dial periodically to keep an eye on the tension. The bottom heads are always checked and brought back up to 87 before each play.

As for using a tuning block on the top head, I only have experience with Coretec heads on Premiers. My experience was that if the Coretec head is overtightened it will break prematurely. I have decided to set them to 6 on the JK tuning block, and this seems to be fine.

If you don't use a Drum Dial then the tuning if slightly more complicated. Press down with your thumb on the bottom heads to get a "reading" and make each drum have the same "reading". Striking the head, lightly, with a stick will give a pitch and then you have to make all the pitches the same. I have found that the money spent on a Drum Dial was well worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

tomm

Last edited by Tom MacKenzie; 04-20-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Tom MacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for the useful info, Tom. Is there a specific type of drum dial for Highland snares or any sort will do?
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

I use this one.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
carter140

Very helpful. Thanks. I got up to a 4 on the batter of my reactor. I don't want to push it and it's singing pretty well. I would like know if anyone has had it higher on a reactor though.