Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Lament for John Morrison of Assynt House

In June, we were lucky enough to catch the upcoming folk group Pons Aelius at a gig in Arisaig. My kids loved it and we got their new CD.

Consequently, it has been a nightly feature in my 8 year old's cd-player and I haven't had full opportunity to listen to it yet.

But, I caught myself humming a beautiful lament which is on the CD - Lament For John Morrison Of Assynt House.

I believe it is by Donald MacLeod. It is one of the PS set tunes, but they list it in a book 20th Piobaireachd that I cannot find.

I have a few questions about the tune:

1. Does it have a crunluath a mach?
2. I compete at grade 2 and am learning Battle Of Bealach Nam Brog. Is Lament For JM Assynt House within the same compass of difficulty, etc.
3. Where can I get this tune?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Lament for John Morrison of Assynt House

Piobaireachd Society books are available through the College of Piping online shop. If you go to the CoP website and then SHOP > Books > Piobaireachd Books > More Piobaireachd Books > Modern Piobaireachd it should get you to the book you want. Confusingly it is not catalogued under the Piobaireachd Society Products page on the CoP website. I'll have to have a word with the College about that.

Roddy (also Hon. Treasurer of the Piobaireachd Society & concerned we nearly missed selling a copy of a book due to difficulty finding it!)
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Steven Knox
Forum Member

I believe you can find it in Donald MacLeod's collection, book 6.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

Charlie
Old 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Gus1903
Forum Member

I really like that tune as well. There's a good recording of Angus MacColl playing it on the Piobaireachd Society website.
Gus1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I found the recording, thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

And, at least in Donald Macleod's Book 6, there isn't a crunluath a mach variation.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Ben McClamrock gave a lovely performance of this tune at the Piobaireachd Conference in Morristown, New Jersey, back in April (two performances, if I recall correctly). I was about to write "too bad there's no recording" when I thought to check... and here it is, thanks to YouTube (and PipersDojo for posting it, and Jim Stack for organizing the conference, and Ben, of course) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEo7OW9BKbA . Amusingly enough, I can see myself in the mirror, and at least one other forumite is clearly visible.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
LJ Neville
Forum Regular

Yep, there we are (Jean G, Scott E, and myself in the middle). I would have dressed up had I known.

Great conference, and Ben gave a lovely tune here. Steve, am I correct in recalling that he took second to Derek Midgley and that the judges remarked that it was the playing of the triplet G-D-E figure from C to B in the Taorluath and the corresponding figure in the Taorluath Doubling, which he interpreted as a different rhythm than the taorluath, which cost him the win?

Available for sale here: https://www.freewebstore.org/rancoca...-pipe-band-llc
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Steven Knox
Forum Member

As I recall, Derek came in first with The Vaunting and Ben was second. I wouldn't care to speculate on the reason, and would gladly listen to either one again.

The rhythmic contrast Ben put in the C-to-B movements in the taorluath sounded quite musical to me and fit well with the unambiguous rhythmic contrast Book 6 shows in the corresponding locations in the crunluath.