Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #41
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cleaning up old pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmericanScot View Post
That's what I've been hearing, I've been scouring the web for a reed that would work well with this chanter, as there are two hopefuls; a Gilmour reed that the Henderson group recommended and I went to Shawn Husk to purchase a reed as well. Hopefully there will be a successor from my Shepherd Bb. After putting the Shepherd Reed in I found that the chanter ran at 445 Hz on the tuner, and getting the old drones in tune was an unsuccessful chore at first. It kind of feels like getting an old Model T in running shape again lol
I'll do my best. I have an old Lawrie here and I'll get it as close as possible for you but these chanters from Lawrie were never well respected in the past from all the information I have, and they varied wildly. But you can be assured that the reed will be playable and with good volume and hopefully with some taping you'll be able to get it where you want it.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #42
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochaberaxe View Post
The problem with an old chanter is the scale that is really different than today especially with the C and the E.

Usually vintage chanter reeds are made with longer staples of 1 inch.
I find this interesting, and gives me an idea. Please pardon what I hope isn't a moronic question on my part, but if this is the case, then might it stand to reason that if I were to take the wrapping off of one of my normal GHB reeds ... I might be able to roll a longer staple for the reed, and redo the wrapping to put it back together again?

I have an A-440 chanter, and I've also had a bit of trouble getting reeds to behave with in ... especially with the E.

Cheers.

Last edited by Pppiper; 01-15-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:10 AM   #43
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's a quick sketch from around the 1920s of a GHB reed. It was sketched by an Uilleann pipemaker in the US so likely a copy of the standard dimensions of the day. It's a couple of mm longer than a modern reed, so seems not unreasonable.

http://imgur.com/cq7MsbS
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #44
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Here's a quick sketch from around the 1920s of a GHB reed. It was sketched by an Uilleann pipemaker in the US so likely a copy of the standard dimensions of the day. It's a couple of mm longer than a modern reed, so seems not unreasonable.

http://imgur.com/cq7MsbS
Right on, thank you!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote