Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Thick People

Just have a menu system:
#1 - AG at the end of the funeral. Cost = ____ Each additional tune +%___
#2 - #1, plus playing the casket to the graveside from the hearse. + _____
#3 - #1+#2, plus playing the casket as it leaves the chapel service. + _____

etc

Fill the blanks with your fees, add numbers as needed

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

I piped my Ex-husband's funeral a few weeks ago. Ok, so I didn't actually GO to the service, I played on my front porch. And after I played Amazing Grace, I added a tune for me... "At Long Last..."
Old 05-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Quite common unfortunately...I once had a wedding client who requested that I play the entire set list of a World's CD.
Hopefully they let you take a break every 5th set!
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

This gig turned out to be a nightmare. The lady who hired me by phone and text turned out to be a very wealthy lady from Florida. The deceased was her brother. She behaved as if everyone were her servants. Rude and demanding.
The funeral director had to stay longer because after the graveside ceremony she decided to have her own invented ceremony with everyone placing a flower on the casket and saying a few words about the deceased. This took forever.
I was a gentleman and behaved but in my mind I was bitching her out. She waited as long as possible to pay me. I smiled and thanked her, but you can guess what I was thinking.
It's always best to be professional and to remember the great funerals and the kind people who hire pipers. Thank God the 99.9 percent are not like this one.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
I piped my Ex-husband's funeral a few weeks ago. Ok, so I didn't actually GO to the service, I played on my front porch. And after I played Amazing Grace, I added a tune for me... "At Long Last..."
Is "Hellbound Train" an appropriate funeral tune, do you think?
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
This gig turned out to be a nightmare. The lady who hired me by phone and text turned out to be a very wealthy lady from Florida. The deceased was her brother. She behaved as if everyone were her servants. Rude and demanding.
The funeral director had to stay longer because after the graveside ceremony she decided to have her own invented ceremony with everyone placing a flower on the casket and saying a few words about the deceased. This took forever.
I was a gentleman and behaved but in my mind I was bitching her out. She waited as long as possible to pay me. I smiled and thanked her, but you can guess what I was thinking.
It's always best to be professional and to remember the great funerals and the kind people who hire pipers. Thank God the 99.9 percent are not like this one.
Oi .. I figured that's how it would have gone, based on your description of the initial phone conversation.

Kudos to you for persevering and maintaining professionalism, and thanks for letting us know how it went. I confess, I was quite curious.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

I once got asked to play a moderately obscure 4/4 pipe tune for a wedding.
xxth Highlanders
Or something to that effect. But it wasn't one of the "standards"
Wasn't even in Scots Guards. But I found it in a book somewhere.

It was on a "Sounds of Scotland" type CD, played by a pipe band. It was their favorite.

I didn't even photocopy and shrink it and tape it to my bag just behind the blowpipe stock. I memorized that thing. If they're gonna ask for a bona fide pipe tune, I'm gonna give them one.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #18
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haack View Post
I once got asked to play a moderately obscure 4/4 pipe tune for a wedding.
xxth Highlanders

I didn't even photocopy and shrink it and tape it to my bag just behind the blowpipe stock. I memorized that thing. If they're gonna ask for a bona fide pipe tune, I'm gonna give them one.
It would be much easier if people requested pipe tunes, but learning a new tune on short notice is tough for me. I practice it until I feel it's ok to play.
Short notice anything messes up my mojo. lol
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #19
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Several thoughts about this stuff:

1) There are people who want to feel in control. They can't bring themselves to placing the tune choices in the hands of the musician. Yet they're confronted with a genre of music they know nothing about. As the saying goes "the hardest people to please are picky people who don't know what they want".

A very good piper (you would recognize the name) once told me that he solves this issue by putting clips up on his website, for example "Wedding Processionals" followed by three clips. He says this allows the client to make the choice (and thus feel in control) and also greatly reduces the number of oddball requests. He says the vast majority of clients pick one of his suggested tunes.

2) I've talked with professional organists (who do weddings and funerals and church services for a living) and some have a strict "no requests" rule. Others charge a fee, like $50 per request. This also reduces oddball requests. Such fees are justified when I think of the hours I've spent finding and transposing tunes for clients.

The aggravating part is that the person who requested the oddball tune usually doesn't hear it anyway. I don't know how many times I've spent time arranging X for the pipes, played it, and immediately after playing it have the person who requested it run up and yell "play X now!" or "why haven't you played X?"

I'll say I just played it and they say "oh, I didn't hear you."

3) Playing uilleann pipes means never having to say "that tune doesn't fit on the pipes".

When they request something that doesn't fit on the GHB I'll tell them so, and tell them that there's a different kind of bagpipe that I can play X on.

I've played Jazz songs and Andrews Sisters songs and Disney songs... you name it.

4) Being able to read music means you never need to learn anything for a gig.

5) Developing your "book" over the years means that many requests will already be in your book.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #20
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Quite common unfortunately...I once had a wedding client who requested that I play the entire set list of a World's CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Hopefully they let you take a break every 5th set!
The funny thing is I had thought about accepting the gig, half of what I would have been playing would be the ghastly Highland Wedding!