Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Reeding a new Naill chanter

I got a Naill chanter on order, and I was doing my research about it.

I have been hearing that they tended to be an the more "temperamental" side of things, however I have also heard that their design was tweaked at some point in time (some called them the Lee/Nail chanter) which fixed some of their problems among other things.

What are your experiences? Should I have anything to worry about or should I be okay with the "newer" chanters?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Reeding a new Naill chanter

The newer Naill chanters are fairly easy to reed. MacPhee, G1 Platinum, Gilmour, MacLellan, Troy McAllister...among others...work well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

I have a newer one that had some carving on high A when I got it. Other than tape on high A and a little on high g, itís pretty spot on.

Iíve used Shepherd molded reeds in it, and like them. I am also going to give a MacPhee a shot in this one (tried it in a 90ís Naill for a while).
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
I got a Naill chanter on order, and I was doing my research about it.

I have been hearing that they tended to be an the more "temperamental" side of things, however I have also heard that their design was tweaked at some point in time (some called them the Lee/Nail chanter) which fixed some of their problems among other things.

What are your experiences? Should I have anything to worry about or should I be okay with the "newer" chanters?
Do a search here for posts several months ago by hizzoner Roger Huth...and Roddy Livingston....you will read an interesting tale of the dynamic duo each battling to acquire a new hot off the lathe Naill chanter at the shop . Good insight and chat about reeds too.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

The Lee/Naill revision happened back in 2005 if I'm not mistaken. The way you can easily identify which chanter you have is by the reed seat. The Lee/Naill chanters all have threaded reed seats, the ones prior do not.

The newer ones are less temperamental so you shouldn't have much trouble.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasses4masses View Post
I have a newer one that had some carving on high A when I got it. Other than tape on high A and a little on high g, itís pretty spot on.
Carving and then taping a hole is kind of counter productive no?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Carving and then taping a hole is kind of counter productive no?

The carving was already done when purchase. Depending upon the reed and climate, high A may well need some tape even on uncarved chanters.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
The Lee/Naill revision happened back in 2005 if I'm not mistaken. The way you can easily identify which chanter you have is by the reed seat. The Lee/Naill chanters all have threaded reed seats, the ones prior do not.

The newer ones are less temperamental so you shouldn't have much trouble.
I've been using Naill chanters since the 19080's and have never thought of them as temperamental, or particularly difficult to reed. In fact I've generally found them as easy if not easier to reed than most others. Good luck with the new one. I hope you enjoy it.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
I've been using Naill chanters since the 19080's and have never thought of them as temperamental, or particularly difficult to reed. In fact I've generally found them as easy if not easier to reed than most others. Good luck with the new one. I hope you enjoy it.
The older ones are notoriously flat on B and D....always needed carving..wonderful chanters though...I've found that they needed warming up of the wood to reach proper intonation...the old MacAllister reeds were gold in them...best solo prize winning combo out there for many years..
Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Well I got it & tried it out, no wonder it is so popular, it sounds great & is SUPER comfortable!

I am using an Elliot reed, it pitches around 480 which I like! It is rather Flat on F and C mostly. However I popped it in my McCallum Mk2 chanter and it was kind of flat with that one as well.

So it's not the chanter but the reed, it is too open I think because once I gently squeezed it it went up to pitch.

Hopefully it goes away once I play it in more!

Last edited by WBpiper; 05-16-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote