Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Tinnitus

As a teacher of the deaf, I have always been conscious of the effects of loud noises on our hearing. I do wear some wonderful custom-made musician's ear plugs during practices and anytime we play in a small venue. I have been noticing some tinnitus over the last few years that has been getting more pronounced as time goes by. My students have serious hearing loss so dealing with tinnitus has not been prominent in my training. I'm just curious as to whether this is a hazard of playing the pipes or just an age thing. Are there any piping audiologists out there?
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Tinnitus

I've had tinnitus for about 15 years. I picked it up after I started piping. That's with wearing earplugs pretty much every time that I playI've maybe played twice without them. Maybe I just have/had bad earplugs.

It might be an age thing too, dunno, but probably not in my case. I got it in my early to mid 30s.

I've told the story here of scolding my daughter for coming to the dinner table and leaving the TV set onI could easily hear the high pitched whine of the TV. Only the TV was not on. I got a weird look from my daughter and wife. Tinnitus.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've had it for as long as I can remember. However, it has got worse with piping, especially my drone side ear.

I wear earplugs for piping all the time and one thing I've noticed is that when the plugs mess with earwax, I end up with a gob of wax in my ear. When I clean it out (or go get it syringed), the tinnitus diminishes slightly.

For me, it is exacerbated by dehydration and alcohol, which often go together.

Charlie
Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tinnitus is common enough that one would expect a fair number of pipers to have it, regardless of any link. One study suggests an incidence of about 0.5% in ten years for a general adult population. 16 million US adults report frequent tinnitus.

For sure pipe bands indoor in confined spaces are loud enough to impact your hearing. I wear earplugs at all times indoors whether on my own or with the band, and I can feel it afterwards if I don't.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

I noticed the start of tinnitus about a decade ago. When it was perfectly quiet...... midnight out camping in the wilderness...... I could hear a faint low pitch.

Started piping a few years ago without ear protection and had one night where my hearing was impaired for a couple of hours later. That is when I got custom musician's ear plugs.......should have done that right from the start. They work great!!

I think the tinnitus was coming on anyway based on family history. May have been accelerated by piping......but helped further over the years by loud concerts, lawn mower use, etc.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Started wearing earplugs after about 1 yr of band practice indoors. My ear ringing stopped, my headaches stopped, but the criticism started. "You can't hear the music", "You listening to music on the earphones" or band members moving their mouth like their talking. No matter, I persisted to the point no one comments about the earplugs. A high school drummer is the only other who wears them. My statement to them is that it better to prevent rather than to remediate hearing loss.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

Actually my ear plugs allow me to hear my own playing clearly to the rest of the band. A big benefit
Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 AM   #8
caveal
Forum Gold Medal

I can hear out of my left ear easier than my right, must be from playing with rifles. Years of pipes, guns, and ridiculously loud rock music have left me very poor of hearing
caveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb0628 View Post
My ear ringing stopped, my headaches stopped, but the criticism started. "You can't hear the music", "You listening to music on the earphones" or band members moving their mouth like their talking. No matter, I persisted to the point no one comments about the earplugs.
Wow. I think there is literally nobody in our circle who doesn't wear them. I'm surprised that this attitude still exists. Pipes and drums are more than loud enough to cause permanent damage.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #10
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Wow. I think there is literally nobody in our circle who doesn't wear them. I'm surprised that this attitude still exists. Pipes and drums are more than loud enough to cause permanent damage.
Yes. It is now normal to see grade one bandsmen wearing them on the field, never mind indoors.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote