Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Bagpipe Cradles?

Has anyone used these and what do you think of them? The reason also that I ask is that (As I have noted several times), I teach special education to autistic and moderate to severely disabled teenagers and am looking for wood projects for them to make this summer in our Saol Gramhara Woodshop (which means, if I have the Gaelic right...."Loving Life Woodshop"). I wanted to know what the community thinks of these as a means to hold pipes, if they "work" and if there would ever be a market for them should we try and sell them on ebay. My thinking is we would make them in such a way that they could be shipped flat and then assembled quickly or fold out with hinges somehow.

That being said, if they really don't work and nobody is interested in them I won't waste my time on it. The two photos I saw on Google images I thought were cool, but I thought as well you could fabricate them so they hung on the wall rather than on a stand as such. Let me know what you think, I appreciate constructive thought.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Cradles?

Given the dry climate here in Colorado, Iím inclined to put my pipes back in their case rather than leave them to dry out on any kind of stand.

Charlie
Old 05-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Robert Pekaar
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Robert Pekaar

Do you have a picture of one or a You Tube post. I,m looking for the type that Jim McGillivray has on his presentations.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I'll see what I can find. I know what I have in mind but not sure if I can find one that would hang on the wall.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #5
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

I really like my bagpipe cradle, that was made maybe 10 years ago by a business that no longer seems to be in business. It is a lot handier for me than putting the pipes back in a case (and taking them out again) and having the case lying about in the way. And seeing them out -- a classy display item if you ask me -- is a reminder to pick them up and practice. Of course, a downside is that they are more subject to tipping over if bumped into (I keep mine in a corner to help prevent this), particularly if you have small children or frisky dogs. Or they are all too visible to a burglar....

And an ideal cradle would have a special place to hang the chanter, OUT of the bag!! I have to wrap mine up in toweling and tuck it behind the pipes for protection

I wish these were readily available again, I don't have the skills to build one form scratch. Good luck with your project, it sounds quite worthwhile!
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I'm setting up the shop here at my house, as its summer break looming and will have some time--I will mess with some ideas but the chanter idea is appealing to me as I have the same problem. Always wants to flop somewhere so maybe a holster of some sort attached on the cradle!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Exactly! Some sort of holster set within the cradle, at the side or rear, to secure the chanter. And it should allow for both soled and non-soled varieties. Even something as simple as a set of buckled or velcro straps would be a welcome improvement.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

I use the "Celtic Bagpipe Stand" that's built by Harald Weinkum of the group Celtica. It's sturdy, and is customizable to hold just the bass drone, the bass drone and blowpipe, or the bass drone, blowpipe and chanter! I've used mine for a couple of years now, and I'm quite happy with it!

https://www.facebook.com/BagpipeStand/
Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
FFDaveNY
Forum Regular

I built my own using a mic stand with a angled boom, a couple conduit brackets and some 1x6 oak. I believe it was a 15 deg. cut on the edges of the rear panel. Drilled an extra hole in the brackets & used self-tapping screws into the boom.

Went together rather easy & use it for a second set of pipes I practice with.

I should have used 1x8 for the rear panel as my pipes don't always stay well in the cradle due to the moisture control in the bag- but I think a strap on the front will cure that. Also, do not get cheap lightweight mic stand.

I can send pics if you'd like.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

send them to plainspiper@gmail.com and I'll surely take a peek--I'm making these so they fold up and then unfold and are like a box with hinges. That way I can ship em.