Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Learning online for drumming noobs

I sat in with our snares for a lesson yesterday, and one thing that I have to work hard at is grouping movements that span over a beat. For instance, a 1 beat 11 buzz stroke with an eighth note stroke on beat 2. I would separate those two based on measure beats, but the instructor specifically said 'buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz-tap-tap' as one movement..
What helps me the most is playing the scores with the pipe tune they are written for..

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
Shantyboat
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Great. Will do!

Latest: I had been struggling a bit with buzz rolls...but...

What a Difference a Day Makes

I feel good about my Buzz Stroke progress! I’d been feeling rather clumsy and slow for a bit, and ending up taking a couple of days off. That cold wasn’t helping either.

About five minutes into my return today it all fell into place. Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. Both hands! For some reason, a drum roll or buzz seems like real progress, more than the tap, tap, tap of previous exercises. I do understand progress on those “taps” lead to progress on the buzz roll, but this feels like a big step forward, emotionally. This is starting to feel like “real” drumming.

For any future challenges on this journey I need to remember that progress isn’t a steady line. Recognizable progress can come in fits and starts sometimes.

Online Lessons

Life is busy. Work. Family. Getting the car in for service. Doing my lessons online allows me to take my lesson on MY schedule. 7:13 pm on a Tuesday? No problem.

Also, my teacher, Michael, is willing to repeat everything he says during each lesson, in effect. I just play the same lesson video again. I’ve done that a lot of times.

Now, how is his arm moving on this skill exercise again? Watch the video again and really focus in on that.

My wife mentioned to me the other day that she is impressed by how “good” I’ve been at practicing my studies. As she said that I thought, yeah, I HAVE been pretty good about it. This really is fun.

Seize the Day

I just found out my brother-in-law has an inoperable brain tumor. Such bad news for a really good guy. Count your blessings and go ahead and do your dreams. If not today, soon.

Bryan
Seattle,Wa. - USA
Shantyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Shantyboat
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Well, I disappeared for a while. Life, including a seriously bad cold, kept me away from here, and from the drums to some extent.

Quick summary. I am a 61-year-old Scottish Side Drum noob. I have been learning through Rhythm-monster.com and have now had two hour-long sessions with a local pipe band, the Keith Highlanders in Bellevue/Medina, Washington.

With the band, we are starting with the basics, moving into how the basics become the Highland Swing. Great teacher. Enthusiastic. Supportive. Good guy, and an equally nice fellow student. I am the oldest of the three. There is also another drummer noob group made up of three little kids. Bless them, love them, but I am also glad we work apart. Being honest.

Rhythm-Monster.com Well, I was really in a good place to start live lessons given my introduction through RM. I'd used the online lessons to work past the awkward/uncontrollable left hand. It isn't controlled now, exactly, but close. ;-)

I just did a page of exercise for the live band, and am heading into to do the next lesson on RM. They merge together really well. I am sure you could do one or the other just fine. Each would work. I am sold on the RM lessons. But having both is really nice.

So far so good.

RM asked if I could share a few blog posts about my learning, so you may see more in-depth notes there.

Bryan
Shantyboat is offline   Reply With Quote