Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #21
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tinnitus

I don't notice my tinnitus when tuning; the pipers override that!! I did notice about twenty years ago that I was starting to need a tuner for tuning other instruments, though, when not in a quiet environment. I guess with age I became a lot less able to pull out the sound of my instrument from the ambient noise. I do use a tuner for my pipes and will fine tune by ear if needed. The tinnitus doesn't seem to be a factor then. The time it bothers me most is when I'm experiencing insomnia, which is two nights out of three. I do miss total quiet...
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #22
Kelly the boy from...
Forum Member

I've had tinnitus since I can remember. Perhaps marching band in Jr. High. I don't know. However, I think once used to the lesser volume of sound, one can tune just as well. I tune the drones for our band, and even get kudo's from competition judges regarding our tuning. I use both a digital tuner and, more importantly, my ears which I had the fortune of developing during a decade of playing french horn. Good luck and listen hard!
Kelly the boy from... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #23
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
The time it bothers me most is when I'm experiencing insomnia, which is two nights out of three. I do miss total quiet...
Sometimes I use my tinnitus as an aid to sleep.

If there is noise keeping me up I'll put in earplugs, and the tinnitus will mask out the sound that gets past them.

It's not total quite, but maybe the next best thing. I guess I have never experienced total quiet the way a person without tinnitus can.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #24
Chris C.
Forum Regular

Always used earplugs when playing in the pipe band (and some rock bands) in the 80's... Being that the earplugs of the time were crummy and always moved around in the ear, I used wads of cotton wet with warm water. Would conform to the ear and not slip. I wore them religiously. Never got any pushback from anyone in the band. No one else could see them, anyway.

I finally got tinnitus while working as a mechanic's helper about 7 years ago when we were trying to remove a ball joint, and the blockhead I was working with decided to start up the air-gun-jackhammer thingamagigamus -- without warning me ahead of time.

Now I have tinnitus in my left ear that comes and goes. I play a mild set of synthetic drones with a mild synthetic chanter reed in my pipes -- so they're quieter than they were in the band long ago. But I still use earplugs, except for very short spurts when checking their tone. But I don't play unprotected for long -- not longer than a few seconds. Just isn't worth it.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #25
9 note Tex
Forum Member

Had very low level tinnitus for several years (mowing lawns, flying airplanes, marching bands, etc). Started getting worse when I picked up piping a few years ago. I wore foam earplugs indoors but nothing outdoors. A decibel meter outside showed 90-100 db outdoors. So I started wearing earplugs all of the time. I found a brand that works very well. I can actually hear and tune better than before. They are called Earasers at Earasers.com They are apparently designed for musicians to block out the frequencies that are harmful. The tinnitus has not gotten any worse. I'm sure that there are other brands that work just as well. I have also gone the expensive custom earplug route but I don't think that they work any better than the Earasers. The main message here is please, please, please, wear some type of hearing protection at all times when piping! You don't want tinnitus! To those that already have it, there are some free tinnitus suppression apps for the iPhone or iPad that really help for those times when the tinnitus really bothers you.
9 note Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 note Tex View Post

A decibel meter outside showed 90-100 db outdoors.
My meter reads exactly the same SPL indoors and out. Makes sense. The instrument produces a certain amount of sound -- it doesn't generate more when you're indoors. It seems louder, but it isn't -- that whole perception and reality thing.

I've recently started using Alpine brand earplugs. Alpine, as in the audio company. They work really well for piping. Come in a little case that attaches to your key-chain too.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #27
daveboling
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

The actual link is www.earasers.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 note Tex View Post
Had very low level tinnitus for several years (mowing lawns, flying airplanes, marching bands, etc). Started getting worse when I picked up piping a few years ago. I wore foam earplugs indoors but nothing outdoors. A decibel meter outside showed 90-100 db outdoors. So I started wearing earplugs all of the time. I found a brand that works very well. I can actually hear and tune better than before. They are called Earasers at Earasers.com They are apparently designed for musicians to block out the frequencies that are harmful. The tinnitus has not gotten any worse. I'm sure that there are other brands that work just as well. I have also gone the expensive custom earplug route but I don't think that they work any better than the Earasers. The main message here is please, please, please, wear some type of hearing protection at all times when piping! You don't want tinnitus! To those that already have it, there are some free tinnitus suppression apps for the iPhone or iPad that really help for those times when the tinnitus really bothers you.
daveboling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #28
John
Forum Member

I've been wearing ear protection for a long time. Most of the time I don't have any issues with tuning. Occasionally I'll take out the right one if something sounds funny. I usually tune the band and don't seen to have too much of a problem.

One time I forgot them during a St. Paddy's Day pub crawl. My ears were ringing for 3 days. I now carry a spare set on my pipes so that doesn't happen again. I do have slight tininitus but not too bad. Probably from my early days piping before ear plugs, lawn mowers, etc.

I use Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection. They seem to work well. The foam ones seem to block out too much. A few others in the band use them also. Only about half or less of the band uses hearing protection.

What really hurts is standing next to a snare without hearing protection.

-- John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #29
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

I can actually tune better with the earplugs in. They block out much of the background noise, so I can concentrate on my drones. I'm a stickler about wearing earplugs.