Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
pj chowning
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Computer software

Try Electric Pipes by Andrew Baker. A very intuitive program and any questions not answered by the help page are responded to very quickly by Andrew. http://bakedbean.co.nz/Electric_Pipes.htm
pj chowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
I assume you mean the digital noise, put out by these programmes?

With this I whole heartedly agree.

Paul
If you want a program that can create musical sounds, then Harmony Assistant is pretty good. It will open ABC files too. Harmony Assistant is designed to be an electronic composer's tool. You can minutely adjust the tuning and the timing of everything, so the quality of the output is based only on the programmer's skill and the samples.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
..... snip........ Harmony Assistant is designed to be an electronic composer's tool. You can minutely adjust the tuning and the timing of everything, so the quality of the output is based only on the programmer's skill and the samples.
Thanks Bob.

I think that therein lies the main problem with playback from programs used to type set tunes. It has been my experience that, having set the tune on paper for distribution to a band that the setter uses the playback to then learn the tune. The tune as played, is what it written on the page but as I recall from your previous studies on timing where the beat is in the music and where it is on the page don`t always match. The minute adjustments that are made when learning from a live teacher with years of experience or that a person learning just from reading the score would do are lost as we "strive to stay on the beat." Phrasing seems to go out the window. Draw a phrase mark on a sheet of pipe music and see what a pipe major looks like when his head explodes.

Paul
Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

Interesting that many of you who responded focused on the aspect related to playing the music electronically. I am grateful for the several responses and suggestions, however, the playback feature is not the main focus of my interest. I am mostly interested in a vehicle that will allow me to easily and simply transcribe hand written music into a printable format. I want something simple and easy to use, hopefully, intuitive and something that I can easily print. Simple to use is the key to my interest along with a final product that might be published.

I did not mean to set off a major debate on playback features. Just looking for some guidance for current and recent programs that might be available. Interesting that no one defended the three most popular programs I mentioned in my request.

I do not mean to sound ungrateful and I am truly thankful for the input received here. I thought it might be helpful just to clarify my goals. Thanks.
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #15
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I suppose that it the nature of discussions on the internet, and often things one d never considered come to light in a free ranging conversation.

I bought Piobmaster on CD years ago it was okay but would only work with the disk in the drive which was a pain as one had to have the disk in the bag with the laptop all the time, which of course led to the inevitable damage to the CD. I never bothere'd to replace it and now if I want to type something I use musescore. However I don't do much of that.

Not sure if that helps but there you have it.

Paul
Old 02-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

I have done it 2 ways I use a BMW program that has a very acceptable monitor look and a very unacceptable print look and I do a print screen off of the monitor and paste it to a drawing program. Using this method I put the bands music of some 60 tunes to paper in a really nice looking format / book rather than the photo copy and hand written mess of the previous book.

The other ways is I created a template of hand drawn embelishments, grace notes etc and just cut paste to another instance of the same drawing program and that's what I did before I learned the programming. It looks great but is rather slow.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote