Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #31
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall View Post
Back to your original question, The Piob which most sounds like The MacGregors Gathering, I think, is "The Black Wedders White Tail". You can listen to it on the Piob Soc website. The ground is not so close but when you listen to the variations you will find a remarkable similarity in rhythm structure and melody. Hope you like it.
Hi Dougall,

Thank you very much, I'll give it a listen! Cheers!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Piobaireachds similar to the sound of "The MacGregor's Salute"

A bit of an update for anyone interested, and for those who may stumble across this thread in the future.

I have to say, this post ended up being wildly successful in aiding my attempts to become more engaged with piobaireachd.

Firstly, I heeded the suggestions to get my hands on any recordings I can. A great find was the 4 volume collection of Bill Livingstone's Piobaireachd Diary. From this, one of my ultimate goal tunes is now In Praise of Morag. I've listened to this particular tune for hours upon hours, and I love it more every time. Also a favorite from this collection (and was a suggested tune on this thread) is Battle of the Pass of Crieff.

Also, the value of piobaireachd.co.uk cannot be overstated. I signed up, and I'm really, really glad that I did. I'm on it nearly every day, exploring.

For me, I'm glad I held off on initial instruction. I really didn't want to spend valuable lesson time hashing out things I could do myself, such as figuring out how to play the movements (like edres, embaris, chedaris, crunluaths, and crunluath a machs) and practicing them. After several months of working these out on my own, I finally felt ready to turn to an instructor, Lezlie Webster, who is sufficiently convenient to Boston. She's a phenomenal teacher, and obviously for anyone ever looking to compete, who could be better than a highly revered, seasoned judge?

Since I was already reasonably executing the movements, we were largely able to focus on all the things I could NEVER have done on my own with MacGregor's Salute. Pulsing in the variations, controlled tempo change between variations for contrast, and fully honing the movements ... especially that pesky embari and getting ever-so-slight pauses in the right places of the a machs (beginning and middle).

MacGregor's Salute has really come along, and it's already gained me some great, early success in competition. What's more ... again, I love the tune. I don't think I'll ever tire of it. Clearly it'll remain a favorite, likely for a lifetime.

I'm finally branching outwards though, and I'm now starting work on Lament for the Little Supper. The embari movement has become a favorite of mine, though definitely a challenge. So besides my affinity for the tune as a whole, I greatly enjoy the notion of continuing work on the embari. After that, I'll likely be turning my attention to either Lament for Mary Macleod, or Too Long in this Condition (suggestion from this thread).

Afterwards, there are a few others I've discovered which I would very much like to go for ... I just wanted to get more familiar with fosgailte and breabach before working on other conventional tunes. As suggested on this thread, I'm anxious to start working on Black Donald's March, The Desperate Battle (both suggested on this site), and Lord Berisdale's Salute.

Also suggested on this thread was Lament for the Only Son, McSwan of Roaig, and Lament for Captain MacDougall. All of these struck a chord with me, and I absolutely look forward to pursuing and playing them in the future.

So once I get around to all of these (leaving off In Praise of Morag for now, that's WAY down the line), I think it's safe to say this would be a rather healthy list:
  • MacGregor's Salute
  • Lament for the Little Supper
  • Lament for Mary Macleod
  • The Desperate Battle
  • Lord Berisdale's Salute
  • Black Donald's March
  • Lament for the Only Son
  • Too Long in this Condition
  • McSwan of Roaig
  • Lament for Captain MacDougall
  • Battle of the Pass of Crieff

It would have been extremely difficult to discover the above tunes without the thoughtful insight from this thread. So thanks to all for your suggestions and input ... I can't express how much I appreciate it.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 03-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote