Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: G1 platinum reed strengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Gordon View Post
Hi all,
I have a " handy-dandy chanter-reed gauge ", an Manometer off sorts that I use when buying my reeds.
G-1's in medium typically are 'round 30-35 inches of water, whereas easy-medium
is typically 27-28"s of water.
Haven't blown any easies , so don't know.
Cheers,
Douglas Gordon
I guess, academically, that's good to know...and it seems to match what was said earlier about them being a tad "harder" (I'm not as much into the "hard" vs. "easy" terms) than what's ordered.

I generally only care for their tone, brightness, how the "scale" to the particular chanter (e.g., where am I going to have to tape, and how much?), longevity, and other things. Regarding longevity and sustainability of tone and brightness, I can say that we've not had to order reeds as often as we used to with some other makers' products. And that's not meant to denigrate other makers, for there are so many excellent ones out there; it's just our experience with G1s.

That said, I also think that there are other factors, such as how much one plays, how they store their reeds, and so forth.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
cannont
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to know the tend to run strong.

I'll echo El Gaitero in the fact that I'm not interested in paying $ for reeds that aren't at least close to what I know I can play now. Although I understand the statement made by Paul Burke about learning to assess each reed, I don't want to purchase medium reeds only to find out that they are equal to a hard reed by makers I've used and I would never buy in the first place. That would just be frustrating to spend the time to break it in then manipulate it.

I play Wallace pipes and Craig Munro recommended the reed for the chanter that is made for the pipes.
cannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #13
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sometimes it can depend on the chanter, it has been discussed here before but don't ask me how search for it.

Easy, medium, hard and 24 is a simple system. With a little variance by maker. I just feel that having a scale of inches, then half inches what next "eights" allows some people an excuse.

Paul

P.S. by snowflake I'm referring to the player not the reed.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

It occurred to me that perhaps many newbie pipers don't really understand how a manometer can be useful in their quest to play a steady pipe and obtain consistent reeds....even tho the manometer has been available for more than 350 years.

Because among muliple chanter reed makers there is inconsistency of reed strength identification when each maker or his apprentice or his #1 throws another crafted reed into the pile marked easy medium hard or 2x4 ....Penelope Snoflake ,having learned she plays best with a reed gagued at 25" water column knows she can call her usual retailer and reasonably request branded reeds in 24-25-26" strength. The retailer...being a modern and forward thinking businessman and Piper...Is happy to oblige this sale and the request to dispatch reeds of an easily quantified strength to his greatest asset...his customer, Ms. Snowflake.
Both he and she are aware we can't split hairs too much when assessing reeds even with a manometer...So a mild range of reeds is specified., reasonably eliminating fractions and sticking with whole numbers. Mr.Retailer quickly pulls together her order using his chanter top manometer. For her $$ Ms. Snowflake is so happy receive 6 playable reeds as requested..instead of like those 29-31-34" reeds she has received in the past ..still in use as door wedges and table levelers...as dispatched by a
part time shop clerk from the seeming combined reed piles at the maker's shop.

One of the earliest makers I recall..about 10 years ago... looking out for his greatest
asset and own reputation... actually writes in light pencil the h2o " on the reed blades.

What a concept.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why would it be necessary to order six reeds if they are all perfect?

"Penelope Snoflake ,having learned she plays best with a reed gauged at 25" water column knows she can call her usual retailer and reasonably request branded reeds in 24-25-26" strength. The retailer...being a modern and forward thinking businessman and Piper...Is happy to oblige this sale and the request to dispatch reeds of an easily quantified strength....."

So now she has to buy a selection of reeds in various strengths instead of an easy reed that she can work with.

Or with the upcoming festivities for St. Patricks day she is putting more time in to the pipes and her blowing improves and she is overblowing the reed. She, because of her dependence on the number and thinking the reed is worn out from all the playing orders another 25 only for the same thing to happen with this reed, now the spiral of blame and the search for the cause of the reed makers error begins, or perhaps it is the chanter that has developed a mystery fault. I`m sure you have seen the threads on here about chanters that never used to do this before. Or the self doubt kicks in and "I can`t master this."

I think that while it is very handy to be able to say that a reed is X inches of H2O, it is still incumbent on people who teach to give the student a full understanding of what is going on rather than just giving them a number and letting them get on with it.

Paul
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
Sometimes it can depend on the chanter, it has been discussed here before but don't ask me how search for it.
I agree 100% - but again don't ask me why this should be! For example, I can take a reed which is very "free" to blow in a Naill chanter and it becomes slightly harder in a McCallum McC2 to maintain the same tone.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Acoustic impedance - the column of air in the chanter forms a spring, the length of which governs the pitch of the note produced. The energy input required to keep it stable depends on how much energy the spring leaks to the surroundings per cycle (in the form of heat, noise, etc).
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #18
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Acoustic impedance - the column of air in the chanter forms a spring, the length of which governs the pitch of the note produced. The energy input required to keep it stable depends on how much energy the spring leaks to the surroundings per cycle (in the form of heat, noise, etc).

That is good to know,
The strength of the reed depends on how springy your chanter is

In all seriousness though I think it is good to know the numbers exist but don`t get hung up on that being the only thing.

Paul
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

...Would a manometer be used to measure that leak(age) ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I`m sure it could, but the result for the same reed in chanters of different spring rates would be different.

Paul