Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default (EUSPBA) Premier Piping?

Hi there,

Could some folks from the EUSPBA-area be so kind as to graciously explain what "premier piping" is?

On the rules sheet from the website, the tune requirements table has a whole additional level called this, and it's above professional. The only other mention of "premier piping" is the footnote:
Quote:
+Premier Piping shall play an MSR; submit 4, play 1 of each repeat or double MSR format. Judge picks set.

Is this some new level that's beyond "professional/open?" I've searched the rest of the rules, and bylaws/polices, and I see no mention of "premier piping." Furthermore, in the regrading announcement from late last year, there's also no mention on "premier piping."

There's a screenshot of the table below.

A curious mind would appreciate knowing more ... please and thank you!

Cheers.

Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: (EUSPBA) Premier Piping?

What games around the country have this event?

The only difference I see in the chart between premier and professional is pibroch with a 6 and an apparently misplaced +......?

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-18-2017 at 09:23 AM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What games around the country have this event?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. =/ Again, I see no further mention of it on the website.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Steven Knox
Forum Member

There have been a premier events at The Piobaireachd Conference in both 2016 and 2017. Aside from the tune requirements, the MSR was a double (two marches, two strathspeys, two reels). The rules also allow for MSRs where one tune of each type is selected but played through twice. I believe premier events are open to anyone in the professional grade.

Last edited by Steven Knox; 05-18-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
There have been a premier events at The Piobaireachd Conference in both 2016 and 2017. Aside from the tune requirements, the MSR was a double (two marches, two strathspeys, two reels). The rules also allow for MSRs where one tune of each type is selected but played through twice. I believe premier events are open to anyone in the professional grade.

Ok, that makes some sense now, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

I believe the idea is both to attract world-level players and to provide a standard against which our professional players who compete internationally can measure themselves. As such, the events are open to all professional-graded players, but the requirements are more demanding than the EUSPBA's standard for pro/open contests.

I'm not a professional soloist or judge myself, so maybe someone else can clarify if I don't have this exactly right.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
I believe the idea is both to attract world-level players and to provide a standard against which our professional players who compete internationally can measure themselves. As such, the events are open to all professional-graded players, but the requirements are more demanding than the EUSPBA's standard for pro/open contests.

I'm not a professional soloist or judge myself, so maybe someone else can clarify if I don't have this exactly right.

Got it, thanks for chiming in. This sounds right, now that it's explained more clearly. From the way it's presented on the table, it's not so clear.

Thanks to you and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk