Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Bass Sections
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Sections Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Big Dog
Forum Gold Medal

Default Are there small tenor drums for youngsters?

Need some advice, please. I haven't faced this situation before -- we have a young tenor learner, an 11-year old girl. There's no way she can carry a regular-size tenor drum, it would hang down to her ankles. What do most bands do, to outfit their youngsters? Are there smaller drums somewhere that you can still get the proper pitch and tone from? Absent any other ideas, I'm thinking I might lend her a small tom-tom off my drum kit and see if THAT works!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Are there small tenor drums for youngsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
Need some advice, please. I haven't faced this situation before -- we have a young tenor learner, an 11-year old girl. There's no way she can carry a regular-size tenor drum, it would hang down to her ankles. What do most bands do, to outfit their youngsters? Are there smaller drums somewhere that you can still get the proper pitch and tone from? Absent any other ideas, I'm thinking I might lend her a small tom-tom off my drum kit and see if THAT works!
Or go to a ' music shop' ...or Walmart etc...And buy a right size drum ...A slightly better than toy might do at this point.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

Big Dog,

I have some wee tenors in my group about the same age.. We converted some 8" toms from a trap set. We purchased new wooden rims to match our existing tenor drums.They do play closer to the body, but are just the right size. See here:

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
Big Dog
Forum Gold Medal

Thank you, guys. Matthew, I appreciate the photo also. I guess the drum kit tom is probably my best option unless somebody suggests something else. Still I'm curious as I've seen many bands with young tenor drummers and I'm wondering what they all do. Hope to get a few more responses here ...
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Georgian Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Adante, Pearl, Premier pay attention. Lots of bands looking for 'kid sized' tenors, the market is there. Can someone step up and get these into production?
Georgian Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgian Piper View Post
Adante, Pearl, Premier pay attention. Lots of bands looking for 'kid sized' tenors, the market is there. Can someone step up and get these into production?
If there were a market demand ...they'd all be there I think.

Little 'underaged' kids grow big...quickly. Little kids on parade photos with their mom or dad might look cute in an album. ( "aye...Gordie started learning to play pipes at age 4" ...balderdash) ...but it's hardly a lucrative whole new market share opportunity.

Give them a chance to mature mentally to better understand left from right, what is expected and required...and ever increasing physically to 'rise' to the occasion. At a certain point...even little kids ...who really absolutely ..want to do it will get it done ( playing a [I]real[/I 'big' drum) ...others will shortly come along ( with a big drum) too. Peer pressure.

Meanwhile there are workable smaller trap drums available...even at Walmart.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote