Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
DavidG
Forum Member

Default MG carbons vs. regular synthetic

Hi,

After trying out the pipes of one of my bandmates and falling in love with how his bass drone sounded compared to mine (we both play ABW McCallums), I'm looking to switch my kinnaird evolutions to MG carbon, like he plays.

However, I've been having trouble locating the reeds anywhere close to my location, and ordering them from the UK, with customs & the value of the canadian dollar right now, ends up being a fair bit more expensive than I expected.

Considering I can easily find MG MKII's for a fair price in canada, I'd like to know if some of you have experience with both, and if so, what difference I can expect in sound, stability, hardness, etc.

Thanks!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: MG carbons VS regular synthetic

By MK 2 do you mean the black bodied predecessor to the MG Carbon:s ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Piparoo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I don’t have a direct answer to your question but Island Bagpipe has MG Carbons for sale. I’ve order multiple times from them and have been really impressed with their speed and service. Let me know if you decide to sell your Kinnairds. I might be interested.
Piparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
DavidG
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piparoo View Post
I don’t have a direct answer to your question but Island Bagpipe has MG Carbons for sale. I’ve order multiple times from them and have been really impressed with their speed and service. Let me know if you decide to sell your Kinnairds. I might be interested.
Thanks, I didn't know about that company! That's actually really helpful, I might just go with those. As for the kinnairds, I think I'll hold on to them so as to have a spare set of reeds, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
By MK 2 do you mean the black bodied predecessor to the MG Carbon:s ?
Yeah exactly, I figured the bass reed is pretty much the same as the carbons (only the tenors have the brown body and plastic tongues), so I was wondering if the 50$ price difference was really worth it?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Yeah exactly, I figured the bass reed is pretty much the same as the carbons (only the tenors have the brown body and plastic tongues), so I was wondering if the 50$ price difference was really worth it?
I had MK2 and then the mg carbons...both quite satisfying. Hard to discern a huge diff between the tenors. Yes...I’d say the carbon bass indeed gives a bigger sound. I use it now in my old Hardie pies with EZ tenors.

But...FWIW... I have also a set of MG White Mambas in my McCallum poly pipes and they are absolutely fab. I am going to swap them over to my old Hardie’s next week for a test drive...tho I hate to upset them from my poly pipes.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote