Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Ladies' Room
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ladies' Room For the Ladies.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
piper Q
Forum Regular

Default Re: It's not a skirt, it's a KILT!!!

And does not the European Union refer to the Kilt as a Skirt?

Being in the deep south of the United States, where English is spoken with various degrees of clarity (or not) I've just grin & nod, make a mental note of those whose family tree are lacking branches and outside DNA. Then do what I need to do.

In the end the comments are becoming fodder for bad jokes about educational progress beyond 3rd grade. One person I've some contact with insists it is a skirt if undergarments are worn beneath the woolen garment of heavy weight and long yardage.

Regimental is an option but comfort comes first. So go ahead and call it a skirt if you must, yet you aren't man or lady enough to wear one properly. And wide pleats with viscose polyester doesn't mean it is a proper Kilt.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #12
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

To be fair, there's increasing confusion around this whole issue now that so many what we might call "faux kilts" for gents are popping up. Casual kilts, utility kilts, daywear kilts, lightweight kilts -- I see all these terms used in catalogs, along with plenty of non-tartan man-skirts called "kilts," and I see a lot of cheap, non-wool, lesser-yardage, lightly pleated tartan skirts rented out as "kilts" for weddings, etc. at one local "Celtic" emporium. Search for "man's kilt" on eBay and you'll be astounded at the things you'll see for sale labelled as such. (It's almost as bad as the faux bagpipes from Pakistan tricking the unwary musician wannabe.) Would any of these manifestations be accepted as appropriate Highland garb by judges in Scotland? If it's becoming more and more difficult to know what a man's kilt is, compared to ten or twenty years ago, how much harder is it when female garb is included?
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
To be fair, there's increasing confusion around this whole issue now that so many what we might call "faux kilts" for gents are popping up.
Piped for a Reformation Sunday service last Sunday and was amazed/amused at the number of homemade kilts men were wearing, mostly made from blankets or table cloths. I was looking at one, trying to determine the tartan when I realized the hem was fringed!

cheers -

Wes

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 11-14-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Trimmed down block quote.
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #14
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

At the Salado (Texas) Scottish festival this past weekend I saw the gamut of "kilts", worn with all manner of odd accountrements. The people most conforming to the old norms were the uniformed pipe bands and solo piping competitors. Then there was the gentleman wandering about in a MacLeod kilt worn backwards. Yes, pleats in the front, flat panel in the rear. Did ANYONE have the salt to tell him what he was doing wrong? (I try not to interfere with such things. Perhaps it was deliberate for some reason or another.)
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
Perhaps it was deliberate for some reason or another...
Maybe he was from planet Bizzarro?

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 11-14-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Fixed messed up block quote.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
I was looking at one, trying to determine the tartan when I realized the hem was fringed!
I saw the same phenomenon on a "kilt" a fellow was wearing a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's a new trend.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

It has been my experience that the vast majority of
this mis-apprehension is neither contentious nor
is... socially barbed...

But... and on that very rare occasion when it is... and
such almost always comes from some poor sod who
has had... along with his companions... bit too much
drink... my most usual response runs something along
the lines of...

"Well, yes!! It probably would be... on you!!" :)

And there the matter usually ends... amid the guffaws of
his fellows... :)