Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #31
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Fake 'ivory'

Don't know if it's the same Warther product that Rooklidge mentions, but European pipemakers, recorder makers, Baroque flute makers, bassoon makers etc have for many years been using something like that.

Here's a European bagpipe using that stuff

Old 03-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #32
johnsog
Forum Regular

Just to throw in another option for mounts, my Gibson R111 pipes have imitation horn mounts, which I LOVE!! My smallpipes have Highland cattle horn mounts and I wanted that look for my big pipes as well. They don't have the high contrast of the ivory look against blackwood but are more subtle. Plus, without the combing on the wood, the natural grain of the wood shows through nicely. They are not the military style but I am a pacifist...
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #33
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The trouble with the "imitation horn" I usually see is that it looks very little like horn.

I've owned quite a few sets of pipes mounted in actual horn, Bulgarian pipes.

Bulgarian Rhodopa Gaida, dogwood with horn mounts, chanter entirely covered in horn

As you see, horn can be quite black. Some old GHB and PC mouthpieces are black horn.

Or it can be a pale yellow. My 100 year old Scottish Smallpipes came with what I suspect is the original horn mouthpiece.

Here they are, cocus and ivory with horn mouthpiece

Or yes it can be grey, however I see dozens of pipes with black horn for every one with yellow or grey horn.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-10-2020 at 01:17 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #34
Toxpert
Forum Regular

My set of early 1800s borderpipes have ferrules, button mounts, sticks (chanter, airpipe) made of horn. Wood is laburnum.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #35
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Would anyone know if UV light could degrade or discolour the plastic?

I do know that UV rays can cause yellowing of typical white plastics, I just wonder how it could affect the beige stuff. Any experiences? If so what could it look like? ��

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
erteple
Forum Member

I had the same feeling when buying my first bagpipes. If it's not ivory, why try to make it look like it? I was wondering about what shall I use, but in the end I opted for "boxwood" material and I definately don't regret - the color is more or less similar to the majority, but it's clearly a wood, neither shiny metal nor plastic. And that's what I like and what I'd recommend. Also so far I haven't seem a lot of similar bagpipes so far, but living in central Europe makes it difficult to see ANY bagpipes