Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
nickt
Forum Member

Default Growling Bass Drone

Hi everone,

I have a piper in the band who is playing a set of pipes (origin uncertain but suspect Australian 1960-70 manufacture) with a bass drone that is very temperamental.

The band is using Hardie Drone reeds without a problem but in this particular drone when pressure falls even a little the reed growls. (rapid double toning)

With a constant pressure the performance id fine but the player is still working on pressure regulation.

I have tried a couple of other makes of reed SM90, Omegas with similar results.

I have adjusted bridles, tuning position etc. & was wondering if anyone had a bright idea?

My feeling is the bores are the issue but am canvassing other ideas.

Nick
nickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Growling Bass Drone

It sounds odd, but check if the top section is tightly hemped. Sometimes a loose hemping forms and odd leakage that allows the drone to roar/growl.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
It sounds odd, but check if the top section is tightly hemped. Sometimes a loose hemping forms and odd leakage that allows the drone to roar/growl.
also check the drone cap itself and button that they are likewise not leaking; the problem you describe is similar to what I and others I've spoke with have experienced with some EZ drone reeds...sound fine if absolute maximal pressure is maintained ...but gurgle and growl with the slightest millibar less pressure while playing...with no possibility to adjust the bridle the nanomillimeter required to eliminate the issue without the reed shutting down. Seems not all EZ drone reeds (tongues) are created equal. Disappointing...they've been sitting unsued in a drawer since I got them...I re-try every so often...still no go. I switched to Canning reeds.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had this happen with my franken-Glens and sometimes on my hendersons (with Ezeedrones as mentioned above and with others.)

I found that if I adjusted the reeds too open and then used the screw to raise the pitch, this problem was worse than when I adjusted the bridle to cut off if I overblew and then made the final fine adjustment with the screw.

The final situation came with the franken-Glens and was a split in the Bass-midsection tuning pin.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi Nickt,

Try this article. Bass issues are common and you may find it is just a matter of searching for the right reed. I wrote this article as I seemed to be saying the same things to people over and over regarding bass reeds.

If this doesn't work, you may need to look at the bores of the drone and see what is awry. Might be that a sleeve will solve everything.
http://www.schoolofpiping.com/articl...oning-bass.pdf
Old 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
remr5
Forum Member

PMT, I read your article due to having an angry bass drone (EZEE brand). Your tip of putting some paper under the tongue to change the shape worked great. Thanks
remr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

You might try an inverted bass drone reed. They seem to reduce the incidence of double toning.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Good suggestions, every one. And the inverted ezdrone is an excellent improvement.
But there are some bass drones that might be termed 'awkward sods'. I had a set of early '80s Hardies, and it was damn near impossible to get a nice sound out of them. Mind you, there wasn't the wide choice of reeds available then that there is today, and I didn't have the sense to take them over to Jack Dunbar to look at them. Anyway, those pipes beat me at every turn and I got rid of them after a year.

Last edited by Greenpipe; 01-30-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
remr5
Forum Member

My reeds are brand new and so are my pipes (Gibson). I'm pretty sure that they are now past the break in period as this problem just started. I have about 1 1/2 months of playing time on them. I think my next reeds will be canning tenors with an ezee inverted bass. this seems to be a very popular setup. I'm learning a lot from this website along with some books, bandmates, and my instructor.
remr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Check your bore for warping, if that's the case chances are no reed will perform properly. If so, have it rebored true by a pro, it most likely will solve the problem. I had a set that I couldn't get the bass to settle down and a rebore worked well.

Cheers,
Al
www.theroyalpiper.com