Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc?

So recently competed for the first time in an EUSPBA contest.

I'm noticing on the score sheets in an "Association Use Only" area, check marks for "performance ranks in (top/2nd/3rd) quartile for this grade when considering tone, technique, unison and expression." Those are the top 3 levels, and the bottom indicates below standard.

Besides this, there's also an area for "above grade level" ... which I think seems clear enough.

I'm new to all of this, so please bear with me. Am I correct in thinking this is a way for the judge to specify how well a competitor is doing within their grade as a whole? Or no?

Thanks all.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc?

Kind of. In WUSPBA, we have a similar system. While there may be some variance in how individual judges apply this, AFAIK the association takes considerable efforts to ensure that all judges apply the same rigor in assigning CPL’s.

In recent years, I have been keener to learn about my CPL (quartile placement) than whether I got a medal, not that getting a medal is not fun, but the CPL’s are good for monitoring improvement within a grade.

For the last two years, WUSPBA have been hiding the CPL from the competitor sheet because some competitors would bitch about their ranking to the judge. Personally, I trust my judges as they’re highly experienced. Anyway, this year, we get to see our CPL’s again!

BTW: Competitor Performance Level = CPL

Charlie
Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
For the last two years, WUSPBA have been hiding the CPL from the competitor sheet because some competitors would bitch about their ranking to the judge. Personally, I trust my judges as they’re highly experienced. Anyway, this year, we get to see our CPL’s again!

BTW: Competitor Performance Level = CPL

Charlie
Very helpful, thank you.

And I thought about that ... ie, whether the association might be tempted to keep such assessments internal ... but personally, I always favor transparency. Again, as you allude to, we are trusting these people to judge and rank us ... if we didn't, then we shouldn't compete for them.

I may be more interested in this CPL ranking as well ... after all, I don't particularly care for "beating" people in the competition that day ... I care far more about gaining the experience and improving as a player.

Thanks, btw for defining CPL ... you saved me from having to ask!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

I also noticed that only half of my score sheets had anything checked off ... so I guess I'm wondering if it's just something checked off at the judge's discretion?

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sometimes a little light-hearted rivalry can be fun especially if neither competitor take the rivalry seriously.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Sometimes a little light-hearted rivalry can be fun especially if neither competitor take the rivalry seriously.
Ha .. well said. =)