Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
ScotFiddler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bagpipe Skin Kyloe Case Review

Hi, all. My wife just got a Bagpipe Skin case, and here's her impression of it (and mine, too).

The sides are rigid plastic and offer good support and shape to the case. The back isn't rigid, so it is more comfortable to wear and the expense of a little protection.

The backpack straps are pretty comfortable, but where they are sewn to the case they are "flat" rather than angled to match the slope of the shoulders. Seemingly a tiny detail, but if the case is worn for an extended period of time it makes a difference.

The exterior fabric is lighter-weight than some other cases, such as the Bagpiper standard offering. Even so, it seems quite durable.

The additional carry handles are well-made, nicely placed, and comfortable.

Size-wise, the case is just right. Not too big for one set of pipes, but still roomy enough that additional some kit can be carried.

There are wee elastic loops on the inside of the lid for PC, and internal mesh pockets for cleaning brushes and the like. The lid is well padded with roughly 1/2" thick foam, but is otherwise "soft."

The interior fabric is cushy and padded, so it'll help keep your pipes comfy.

The rain cover looks like it'll work well enough. It tucks away into a pocket at the bottom of the case, which is a nice touch.

There's no internal seat-belt for the pipes, so she sewed one in herself. That's kind of an oversight in the design, but easily remedied.

The exterior dimensions are approximately equivalent to the Bagpiper rectangular case (which I have). The Kyloe is a touch shorter and a touch wider, but because the sides are shaped the overall impression is that it is much smaller. It's not that much smaller - it just looks that way.

All in all, it seems a well made case if you want a comfortable backpack case. I'd like to get one for myself!

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
ScotFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
caveal
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Bagpipe Skin Kyloe Case Review

Does it accommodate for bags with bulky canister setups?
caveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

Will it fit my bass drum if fold it up first?

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
ScotFiddler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveal View Post
Well I don't know for certain because I don't have such a set up myself. But it's not such a tight fit that you can't get anything else in it. There's some extra space within the case once the pipes are in. Don't know if this helps at all.

Also, and I forgot to mention this before, there's an accessory pocket that clips to the outside of the case, over the closed lid. I don't know just what one would put in it - perhaps a cape?
ScotFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveal View Post

Yes, but I need to wiggle it a bit to get it all to fit. I noticed there is no "internal seatbelt" as well but if packed correctly there's actually nowhere for my pipes to slide to. I love the weight and balance when I tried it as a backpack, everything feels nice and secure and less inclined to bang into people on a tightly packed train.

I would use this to travel but I wouldn't use it on a daily basis with my set up (which includes canisters) as it doesn't give me the space I like to open up and air my pipes and then pack them away without too much messing around. There's not enough storage room for all the stuff I like to have to hand but more than enough for what I generally need for running repairs.

PS. I'm not connected to the OP or the maker.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Bluescottygirl - have you experienced any difficulties with airport security with this case!!!!!!
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:53 AM   #7
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Bluescottygirl - have you experienced any difficulties with airport security with this case!!!!!!
I'm hoping this one would be a bit less "exciting" to travel with.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 AM   #8
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
Yes, but I need to wiggle it a bit to get it all to fit. I noticed there is no "internal seatbelt" as well but if packed correctly there's actually nowhere for my pipes to slide to....
There are (optional?) drone bumpers that are to be used with the bag. Do you have them?
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
There are (optional?) drone bumpers that are to be used with the bag. Do you have them?
I do but I didn't really feel the need to use them. I'd be more inclined to use them if I was using my bagpiper case out and about as they move around a bit more in that.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

I bought and received their drone bumpers and their chanter cap. The case has been on some mysterious journey and come to my Post Office, but then gone back to the shipper at least once. The cap and the bumpers are actually quite good, and better than I expected. I will be buying more of each. I expexct the case soon.