Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Default Moose Camlock Chanter Cap

Hi everyone,

Just posted my video review of the Moose Camlock Chanter Cap here: http://youtu.be/l_0TjRoccKg

Overall I think it's a great chanter cap! Nice to have something without a screw that damages the hemp.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Moose Camlock Chanter Cap

I've used a similar cap for the last 8 or 9 years and love it. Mine is a little different, but have been curious about this one. Might have to pick one up for my solo chanter once I have some extra scratch.

Thanks for all of your helpful reviews!
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Got mine Thursday well worth the money!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
FFMc
Forum Member

I just received mine as well. I am sold on them! Very nice product.
FFMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

FYI - to the point about the chanter cap screw (of a regular chanter cap) never landing in the same spot and therefore eventually compressing the hemp all around the chanter tenon, there is a very simple solution to that, which I learned quite early on and have always used: simply ensure that every time you put the chanter cap on the screw is aligned with the High A hole, and don't screw it in so tightly that it makes a depression. I've always done this and never had a problem.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

I`ve been using a Harris Reeds one that works on the same principal for years now. I like the fact that there is no screw to keep in mind when putting on the cap.

Paul
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Strayer View Post
FYI - to the point about the chanter cap screw (of a regular chanter cap) never landing in the same spot and therefore eventually compressing the hemp all around the chanter tenon, there is a very simple solution to that, which I learned quite early on and have always used: simply ensure that every time you put the chanter cap on the screw is aligned with the High A hole, and don't screw it in so tightly that it makes a depression. I've always done this and never had a problem.
I feel like most people have had the chanter cap fall off at least once and as a result they tend to overcompensate. A little damaged hemp is preferable to a damaged reed.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFMc View Post
I just received mine as well. I am sold on them! Very nice product.
Did you guys already have them on order, or did my review convince you to try it out? Just curious.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
B. Kildow
Forum Regular

I'm still not sold on this. Has the screw (supposedly compressing the hemp) ever been a real problem? Wouldn't the little half-moon gizmo in the Moose also cause damage and/or compression over time? Plastic and the lack of any air hole concerns me--if you leave a damp reed in there for a couple weeks due to illness or what-have-you, are you going to wind up with a fine crop of fungus?

The wooden one I use has an air hole, but there's nothing in my pipe case that'd fit down it to damage my reed. The wood absorbs moisture and releases it back slowly which should, theoretically, be heathy for the reed while avoiding mold growth. As a plus, my wooden one cost $3 less and I didn't have to wait 3 months for it.

All that being said, good job on the vids, Josh! It's nice to see new products in depth and seeing how they work for real people. Keep them coming!
B. Kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been using the halfmoon caps from moose, I did have mold grow on a reed once but I didn't dry it sufficiently and put it up soaking wet. I've since taken out reeds and capped them immediately to no I'll effect but I've also changed up my mcs. The biggest issue I've had was someone assuming they knew more than they did about them and trying to pull them off without twisting first.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote