Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music Groups
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Groups Piping in Folk, Rock, and other bands or groups

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Default Setting up a new Pipers club (for beginners)

I've been pottering with the idea of a pipers club in my local area. Having spoken to a couple of people and getting the names of a couple more I can speak to, I'm now pondering the structure of such a group.

My ideal would be something that pipers could drop into, play a few tunes, listen to a few more, perhaps help each other along a little but the focus would be on solo performances. I think my area has enough pipers to support such a group and we're near the central belt (and perhaps could encourage a few more from there).

Has anyone been involved in the set up of such a group? how "formal"does it need to be in structure? I'm hoping to bend the ear of people in the know from the likes of the Eagle Piping Society and SPSL who both seem to have these events in a format that I would like to have. At the moment, it's just an idea slowly taking form. I would however, appreciate any input from someone who's maybe done it before or has some ideas as to a way forward.

Many thanks.
(Admin- my apologies, I might have put this in the wrong place)

Last edited by Bluescottygirl; 10-21-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Apology to admin added
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Setting up a new Pipers club (for beginners)

My advice is just go ahead and get people together and worry about exactly what you all want from it afterwards.

Be prepared to do a fair bit of legwork to get it all up and running - I'm afraid people will nod, smile, and agree it's a great idea and then not show up. Badger them like a very persistent badger. And do it all again the month after as well. They'll thank you for it in the long run. But the truth is all such successful societies are run by a highly effective benevolent dictator (or cabal), regardless of what the constitution says.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
redmist
Forum Silver Medal

Sorry I cant be of much help but it sounds like a good idea so good on you . I could see it going two ways though one is that pipers in bands can use this as out of practice sessions to help with their solo carreers or heaven forbid you could bring a lot pf pipers up that arent in bands only for them to quit or poached to join other bands .hopefully it will work for you .personally id like my band to practice more often and something like this would have been good for me if I lived closer anyway good luck with it
redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
redmist
Forum Silver Medal

It would be pretty cool to be able to support and compete against your other club members at solo events and also all to represent your club though if my area had something like this that didnt have any adverse affects on whichever band the player was in id be in % 100

Last edited by redmist; 10-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.
redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
My advice is just go ahead and get people together and worry about exactly what you all want from it afterwards.
This approach sort of appeals

I don't see it replacing a pipe band or personal instruction. My idea for the group is to encourage and enjoy solo playing, whether it's the wee lad from the school down the road wanting to play his first two part march in front of an audience, someone wanting to play purely for the fun of it or a graded competitor looking for a run out before a competition.

Mix in a bit of light piper chat and I think (hope!) we'd have something people would enjoy going out in an evening for...once a month, anyway.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Adam Sanderson

I've been involved in piper's clubs. The SPSL have been running them for decades, and there have been various ones in the Corbie Ha', the Milngavie PB HQ. Getting a sympathetic venue is often the first hurdle, then things seem to fall into place.

However, the Scottish Piper's Association have been running a night in Glasgow, very similar to the one you describe, since around 1920.

People just turn up with their pipes and play short solo sets, and I have seen all ages there, and all abilities, from juveniles to the more mature. The SPA night is held on the first Friday of every month at 7.30pm. Membership of the SPA is only £7.50 per annum, so it's affordable for most.

The contact for the SPA is Jeannie Campbell. If you would like to find out more, please do PM me and I will pass on Jeannie's contact details.
Thanks.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks, Adam.

There is an element of not reinventing the wheel but when I went looking a while back the only two clubs I found didn't admit ladies. Don't ask me what they were called, I just remember one was in Glasgow.

I'll drop you a wee PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
teuchter46
Forum Gold Medal

Default Setting up a new Pipers club (for beginners)

If you're going to try for an Eagle Pipers' vibe I suggest you get onto Somerville's to sort out the halftime pies 😄
Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Those half time pies are the main reason I'm gutted I live too far from Edinburgh.

We'd have to find our own enticement....egg sandwich, anyone?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
maz
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Sounds like a great idea. I would definitely come along and could certainly benefit from it. I'm in a bit of an awkward position myself as I work shifts so cant dedicate myself to a pipeband and I'm nowhere near good enough to solo, so it would be nice to have a place to learn or offer support! Let me know if there's anything I can do. My instructor is well connected also so might be able to give advice if there’s anything your unsure of.
maz is offline   Reply With Quote