Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Airstream TILT Expandable or FlexiStick TILT expandableBlowpipe

Both my sets have the blowpipes (ordinary straight ones) tied in so that they stay in place if I move my mouth away from them.

Why would a piper have it any other way? You're asking for trouble.

They should be like this guy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQY-ae7beBQ

BTW when I saw the thing about "expandable" blowpipes I thought it was about blowpipes that expand, making the bore bigger. I was disappointed.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-15-2020 at 05:48 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #12
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Sorry I saw this late, how did it work out?

I use a tilting blowstick. I have an Airstream, but had some issues with it. The flapper valve wasn't airtight, and it is VERY difficult to remove and adjust.
I got a McCallum angled blowstick, which has basically the same shape and function, and like it better. It is supposedly machined from solid pieces. It might be sold under other names elsewhere, but Pipeline sells it at a reasonable price and refers to it as being made by McCallum (it didn't come in branded packaging).

I recommend rinsing it out well and letting it dry in the open air after each use. There are nooks and crannies inside that can trap moisture, even if you swipe thru with a brush, and can grow some unpleasant stuff.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #13
mackeroo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Sorry I saw this late, how did it work out?

I use a tilting blowstick. I have an Airstream, but had some issues with it. The flapper valve wasn't airtight, and it is VERY difficult to remove and adjust.
I got a McCallum angled blowstick, which has basically the same shape and function, and like it better. It is supposedly machined from solid pieces. It might be sold under other names elsewhere, but Pipeline sells it at a reasonable price and refers to it as being made by McCallum (it didn't come in branded packaging).

I recommend rinsing it out well and letting it dry in the open air after each use. There are nooks and crannies inside that can trap moisture, even if you swipe thru with a brush, and can grow some unpleasant stuff.
Hi,
I took a few drastic measures, replaced my Bannatyne medium with a Canmore Hybrid zipper bag (the latest new version) extended small ... then I replaced my standard blowpipe with the Airstream TILT Universal-Expandable Blowpipe ... the original flapper valve I could not get out, the screw was too tight, I pushed the valve with a long screwdriver (I use the moose valve in my blowpipe stock) ...
for me the problem has now been solved, the Canmore Hybrid is better under my arm, and the Airstream blow pipe has significantly improved the pressure around my teeth ...
I can now play without problems again ...
Hopefully I helped you a bit with this
mackeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

mackeroo,

Please allow me to get tore in on this one... :)

On this side of The Great Pond... and on your side as
well... I have sent many to TheReedWrangler.com... :)

It's the best $15/$16-ish USD that you can spend... and
has proved perfect... for medically/dentally beset pipers.

And, it's also lovely... for everybody else!!... as it assists
all... to help extend... their playing time!! :)

If... if... you get one... and don't like it... I shall be more than
pleased... to buy it back from you. :)

Trusting that your situation... shall turn out for The Best...

Warmest Regards,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 08-01-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote