Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cutting The Tip Off Reeds

I've always used a single edge razor blade, These are available in packs of 5 at a modest price in most hardware stores. You really can't get anything sharper than that. They're easy to handle and the 5-pack takes up no space to speak of in your pipe case. A 5-pack will last you for years.
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 AM   #12
Big Tone
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I have to ask how often does one need to be cutting the end off a reed? (Unless one is a reed maker). In over 40 years of piping, I think I've done it once or twice.
I don't plan on cutting the end off every reed I ever have. It's merely to have done it, practiced it a bit, know what's too much etc. If I'd I every do have to do it in real life I won't mess it up.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've had limited success. I wouldn't suggest you try clipping the tips off a reed that you depend on ... that being said it can save an otherwise dead reed. As I said, limited success - I've only tried it a couple of times - but it worked! Small (very small) bights are the trick. You obviously only get one chance at this. The reeds I experimented on were simply blown out, and done, so I had nothing to lose. The way I see it, it's worth a try, as opposed to tossing the reed in the bin. Here's the tool I used.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvynWdN00aIJjm1g...ZlLhh?e=zzWBw7
Your mileage may vary
Cheers,
Scot.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

In his reed manipulation workshop with WUSPBA yesterday, Richard Parkes used a chisel to cut the tip off a reed.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have cut the tips of a few reeds- just the thinnest hair's breadth at a time. I was tweaking the reeds to play a clean, in tune high B. 5 out of 6 worked just fine.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I have cut the tips of a few reeds- just the thinnest hair's breadth at a time. I was tweaking the reeds to play a clean, in tune high B. 5 out of 6 worked just fine.
Interesting ... so it seems you're able to achieve an added note above high A (high B) by trimming a reed. When I trim a reed, it drops the pitch somewhat, makes the reed a little harder to blow, and makes it louder. Opposite of what you describe. I'm obviously missing something here. Care to elaborate?

Cheers,
Scot.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kortegaard View Post
Interesting ... so it seems you're able to achieve an added note above high A (high B) by trimming a reed. When I trim a reed, it drops the pitch somewhat, makes the reed a little harder to blow, and makes it louder. Opposite of what you describe. I'm obviously missing something here. Care to elaborate?

Cheers,
Scot.
It's not only the reed trimming that makes a High B possible- the technique, called "Pinching" is so eting that used to be common among border pipers- one fingers a low B while very slightly opening the High A- for most of my chanters, I place my thumbnail athwart the A hole. Fingering is thus: /xxx/xxoo, where means slight opening. I find it easier to get to a high B from high A if on fingers High A as 0/xxx/xxx0. High G# can be fingered: o/xx0/xxx0 or 0/xxx/xxoo.
Trimming the reed tip can bring a flat High B into tune.