Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Big problem with Canmore Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iunderwood View Post
Just a followup here, with a question. The bag is playing phenomenally. I have, however, run into some new problems with my drones. The supplied blowpipe tube seems to be directing almost all the incoming moisture into my outer tenor. After about 35 minutes of playing, it would shut that drone down. Just finished up a 45 minute session, and this time I made sure that the reed tongues were facing forward, instead of backward. The reed was still saturated, but it did not shut off. When moving from a hide bag to a synthetic bag, did you notice a marked increase in reed moisture?

Secondly, my middle tenor has become very unstable in its pitch. It's actually remaining quite dry. I'm getting really wild variations on this one, and it just won't stay tuned. I tried swapping in a new reed to see if it would change its behavior, but it's doing the same thing. It's "tuning" right at about a cm of hemp showing on the drone. Any ideas?

These are all Ezeedrone reeds, by the way.
I also experienced slight moisture issues affecting only the outside tenor (using Ezees at the time) when I first switched to the Canmore Hybrid. A return to a simple silicon tube with Trap-Dri quickly solved this.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I use a Moose Valve and drain it every 15 minutes or so. I also dry out the supplied blowpipe watertrap tube after every session as well as swab out all my drones. This helps with water buildup on my drone reeds but if I play in really cold conditions or for longer than 45 minutes, I tend to have to physically dry the drone reeds as I play.

My supplied blowpipe watertrap came with a removable end "cap" that I can take off and dry out the supplied fake chamois cloth that's in there. I haven't tried it but I would think that changing out the chamois cloth during a session wouldn't hurt anything at all!

Jenni
Old 10-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

A tube watertrap should go right up to the back top corner of the bag when playing - sounds like you need a (much) longer one.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
iunderwood
Forum Regular

This one does. I'm probably just overpowering this trap. I am a very, very wet blower.