Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: I Need a Practice Chanter

Of all the PCs I own, my favorite is the Hardie from the 50s. The catalin has gone brick red, and when I received it, it had the appearance that no one ever really played it, just pristine. I am careful not to abuse it, and take it apart to dry after playing. Next favorite for me is a vintage Macpherson, which is quieter, but delightful. Again, careful not to abuse it, and take it apart to dry after playing.

My go-to whipping chanter is a Naill poly standard with o rings, a nickel ferrule, and an imitation ivory sole. That one puts up with extended playing, no worries about putting it away wet, really. Of course, I have a poly chanter in each of my vehicles in case I get stuck at a long light in traffic.

I really love the vintage ones, but I really don't want to take a chance of damaging them if I can help it. I try to be extra diligent in their care and use.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Talking about practice chanters...
Practice chanters with long-lost tops occasionally pop up for sale. I like to pick these up, have a poly top&mouthpiece made, and then pass them along as complete and playable instruments with tops that will never split. The last two I sent to have tops made, I eBay’d one to recover costs...and gave away the other to a fellow musician.

The give-away chanter was a beautiful sounding Henderson make that looked to be pre-war.

I’ve done this about a dozen times and have yet to find one that did not have a nice voice. It feels good to pay it forward.

Toxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
paul_111
Forum Regular

I really like my ABW Kyo PC with antler sole - Murray makes some FINE stuff!
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Lucas W. Visagie
Forum Silver Medal

I have several of them, but if the house burn I will grab the long ABW Naill
Old 10-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #15
jviss
Forum Member

Can one purchase just a poly top? My instructor lent me one, which fits and works perfectly on my Alexander bottom. I neglected to ask him if it's a loan or if he'd sell it, but looking around online I haven't found just tops for sale.
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
Toxpert
Forum Regular

I was not able to find poly chanter tops as a stock item from bagpipe purveyors. It’s most likely due to the one size would not fit all makes/brands.

Alexander is long gone as an active business...so you just need to drop a note to a pipe maker that does repair work. Explain you need a poly top, the chanter make, and the critical chanter measurements including: height & diameter of the tenon; outer diameter of the chanter. Options the maker may offer might include a ferrule and ferrule material. For a poly top, a ferrule is really non-functional and just decoration.

Note, don’t be surprised if the maker may ask you to send the chanter bottom. This is more of a pride of craftsmanship as they want to see the finished set be perfect. You can explain that you choose to continue playing while they fabricate.

Michael MacHarg (Wee Piper) made the last two poly tops for me. He added imitation ivory ferrules to match the natural soles. Fantastic job! Dunbar Bagpipes repaired my newer (1986) chanter top by inserting a poly liner. Again, fantastic work!
Old 10-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #17
jviss
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert View Post
I was not able to find poly chanter tops as a stock item from bagpipe purveyors. Itís most likely due to the one size would not fit all makes/brands.

Alexander is long gone as an active business...so you just need to drop a note to a pipe maker that does repair work. Explain you need a poly top, the chanter make, and the critical chanter measurements including: height & diameter of the tenon; outer diameter of the chanter. Options the maker may offer might include a ferrule and ferrule material. For a poly top, a ferrule is really non-functional and just decoration.

Note, donít be surprised if the maker may ask you to send the chanter bottom. This is more of a pride of craftsmanship as they want to see the finished set be perfect. You can explain that you choose to continue playing while they fabricate.

Michael MacHarg (Wee Piper) made the last two poly tops for me. He added imitation ivory ferrules to match the natural soles. Fantastic job! Dunbar Bagpipes repaired my newer (1986) chanter top by inserting a poly liner. Again, fantastic work!
Thanks for the reply. May I ask, why do folks install poly liners in repaired wood tops?
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Toxpert
Forum Regular

In my case, the chanter was a mid1980s blackwood with silver ferrule and ivory sole. Despite taking care to oil, etc...the top developed a split that would open up with playing. I sent the chanter to Dunbar have a poly top made and transfer the ferrule. Dunbar messaged an option that they could sleeve the top and maintain the original out wood. I selected that option to keep the look of African Blackwood.

The other chanters, I had poly tops with imitation ivory made. It keep the costs down and still looked great.

Here’s the new-topped Lawrie chanter that sold on eBay ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Law...-/164360799561

Last edited by Toxpert; 10-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
paul_111
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_111 View Post
I really like my ABW Kyo PC with antler sole - Murray makes some FINE stuff!
I almost forgot... The mouthpiece and top are poly with an ABW shell
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote