Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Polyester thread replacing hemp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Palm View Post
Sweet! I just ordered some of that myself! How's it working out for you?
It's is the 3rd or 4th type of polyester thread that I've tried for helping and although it's not perfect, I really like it to the point that I don't see myself ever going back. I initially tried the Coats and Clark brand that Matt Willis reviewed on his channel but I found it very thin and it tended to snap too easily. If it didn't snap on me mid wind then it was usually cuttung into my fingers. It also took an enormous amount of winds to get any thickness needed to properly hemp a joint. Due to this, it was easy to have things become uneven in my experience and have tight and loose spots on the same tenon.

The Mandala solved all of these in every way. I like that it is flat woven which makes for even layers that you can cleanly wind up and down. Being much thicker and super strong compared to the C&C, I find on my pipes that I can have nice tight winds like you see in the chanter photo and it only takes 3-5 layers to reach the proper thickness.

The "wax" that's impregnated into it is a bit of a misnomer however. If you read the ratings you'll see people complaining about it's slipperiness. Technically this thread is waxed, but it's really more of a glossy, smooth type with almost no grip. Almost like a firm paraffin wax. I run my first few runs through black thermo wax to get things tacky and then make consistent, tight wraps, going evenly. This pushes all the thermo and impregnated wax together and you get a very clean, solid base. I use a separate pull through loop on my last layer to pull the end of the thread through. I do have some of the other polyester threads still and if my last layer of this is either slightly too thick or slightly too loose I'll do a light wrapping with those to finish.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=William McKenzie;1348999

Waterproof. Does not swell ...

[/QUOTE]

On a cold day,.. Where does the moisture go....?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
RJB
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
On a cold day,.. Where does the moisture go....?
In your water trap? Or stays on the interior of the drone bores, which will require swabbing.

just my 2 worth.....
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB View Post
In your water trap? Or stays on the interior of the drone bores, which will require swabbing.

just my 2 worth.....
Excess condensate will roll down the interior wall of the tone chambers...if not absorbed by good real hemp ...it will puddle over the pin hempstop ...down the bottom section bore and disrupt or shut off the drone reed.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #15
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Excess condensate will roll down the interior wall of the tone chambers...if not absorbed by good real hemp ...it will puddle over the pin hempstop ...down the bottom section bore and disrupt or shut off the drone reed.
That's true and it could. But that would be no different than people using all yellow or black waxed hemp since those types also don't absorb moisture. My experience is more that if you're outside in hot or cold weather then you're already experiencing other tuning issues regardless.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #16
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Once water is pooling in your drones, your instrument is no longer stable regardless.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

On my old Lawries there's always some hemp showing on the tenors.

I can see somebody concerned about the appearance of their pipes (of which I'm not one) using back thread on the pins, for the clean seamless look, if for no other reason.

Pardon my skepticism, but I've been piping 45 years and I've seen numerous joint-hemping fads come and go.

There was the thing where pipers were taking their pipes into normal music shops and having the joints corked, like clarinets.

There was the thing about putting teflon tape on all the joints.

Then there was the O-ring thing.

Years ago I sent my pipes to a guy who is a wonderful instrument maker (mandolins, hurdy-gurdys, baroque flutes, baroque bassoons, uilleann pipes, all of the highest possible quality) for some work to be done, and the pipes came back with red thread on all the joints.

He explained that it was expensive French thread made exclusively for instrument making (for what purpose I have no idea) and that it was the ONLY worthy thread to put on musical instruments. He sent me a spool of the stuff, for future needs.

I never used it, and in fact I soon took the stuff off my pipes and hemped the joints with good old waxed yellow hemp.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #18
Kintailpipes
Forum Regular

What a great Idea! Matt Willis

I'm going to re-hemp my pipes with the polyester thread and seal it with the toilet wax ring stuff. I love that it doesn't swell.

The better the hemp joint, the better the sound can be achieved.
Kintailpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #19
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

A Very Partial
Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie

The Mandala solved all of these in every way. I like that it is flat woven which makes for even layers that you can cleanly wind up and down.

Being much thicker and super strong compared to the C&C, I find on my pipes that I can have nice tight winds like you see in the chanter photo...

... and it only takes 3-5 layers to reach the proper thickness.

Greetings... and Gratitude!!... to All,

Well... and... Hal-Le-Bloody-Lu-Jah!!... I am always... both
available... and pleased!!... to be conjured... out of my Old
Stone Cave :) ... by the advent... of proven... Progress!! :)

I shall report upon this... my new experience... somewhere
down The Pike... and... "As the Old Chariot Rolls Along"...
when this "new"... at least to me... material... is in hand... :)

Regards... and Gratitude!!... to All,

Pip01

Old 10-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Lochie
Forum Regular

I ordered some to try out as well.
Am looking forward to giving it a go.
Why not? Cheaper than buying so called bagpipe hemp which isn't....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote