Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Blue Leader
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Pull your boot straps up for this one

Ok, all....please only serious help on this one.
Am 56 years young and have been on the PC for only about a month. Am an Over-the Road trucker and only home for a few days about every 3 months. Just moved to Sparks/Reno area and don't know anyone yet. Don't think I'm doing too awful bad: basics, can manage Amazing Grace, Flower of Scotland, working on Itchy Fingers. Doing my best not to have the bad habits I hear about.
Lady friend bought me a set of MIM pipes for my birthday and want to at least learn to play them for her before I dive into the deep end and get a quality set. Bought set of EZ's, moose valve as flaps won't work. You tube has been a god-send at helping me muddle thru.
Any help as far as transitioning from the PC to the GHB would help. Know about goosing, some about tuning the drones, but want to do it right. Know I need an instructor but the few days I am home are precious. Thoughts?

Last edited by Michael New; 09-12-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Racially offensive term. Pakistani, please, or Made in Middle East (MIM).
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Blue Leader

Default Re: Pull your boot straps up for this one

Should also mention that I don't have the desire to join a band. Just want something to do while at the truck stops or rest areas besides sit on my fat you know what.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Skype is your friend, I guess. Just about everything you’d need to know is also buried in this forum somewhere. Google search of the site as well as its own search function work pretty well.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Welcome, Blue Leader!!

And... happy to have you aboard! :)

For the "getting the hang of it" with the pipes you
now have... you might try just blocking the drones...
and just playing the pipe chanter... or your practice
chanter stuck in the chanter stock... to acclimate to
the drones on your shoulder... and working the bag
and the breathing.

Many have begun in this manner... and with quite
good result... and have later "moved up" successfully
from there.

And... please feel at perfect liberty to ask anything of
those here... about anything that may come to mind.

(That's the only way that most of us... ever learned...
much... of anything!! :)

(We all start off... in the same ol'...leaky boat!! :)

Just keep after it!! It will come!! (Promise!! :)

All the Best!!

Pip01

A Quick Post Script:

And please don't worry... about a band.
I know more than one good piper... who've never played in one.

Last edited by Pip01; 09-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Pip01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Blue, if youíre working on Itchy Fingersafter only a month and itís recognisable youíre ceratinly not over the hill, age-wise!

My respectful suggestion would be to stay away from tunes altogether though, until youíve NAILED the basic movements, gracenotes, doublings, triplets, grips, etc.

Why? I really understand the desire to make tunes, but if you start by fudging the basics in favour of melodies you immediately put a ceiling on the quality of your playing... the longer you practice sloppily the harder it will ultimately be to unlearn any bad habits.
Iíve known many who rush into tunes, just simple ones, and say theyíll worry about tidying up the basics later....but they never do, because every tune they play reinforces the bad habits they taught themselves.... and especially if you donít have someone to play against youíll end up disappointed.

Just like any construction, if you want it to work it must have solid foundations.

Keep at it and hold back the exitement and it will pay dividends, I promise.

Good luck
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Loud-one

Welcome to the forum Blue leader and, more importantly, welcome to bagpiping! I would dare say that there are many of us here in all different stages of learning to play along with many well seasoned veterans. Do you have previous experience playing another instrument?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Blue, if youíre working on Itchy Fingersafter only a month and itís recognisable youíre ceratinly not over the hill, age-wise!

My respectful suggestion would be to stay away from tunes altogether though, until youíve NAILED the basic movements, gracenotes, doublings, triplets, grips, etc.

Why? I really understand the desire to make tunes, but if you start by fudging the basics in favour of melodies you immediately put a ceiling on the quality of your playing... the longer you practice sloppily the harder it will ultimately be to unlearn any bad habits.
Iíve known many who rush into tunes, just simple ones, and say theyíll worry about tidying up the basics later....but they never do, because every tune they play reinforces the bad habits they taught themselves.... and especially if you donít have someone to play against youíll end up disappointed.

Just like any construction, if you want it to work it must have solid foundations.

Keep at it and hold back the exitement and it will pay dividends, I promise.

Good luck
Exactly right.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Blue Leader

Hello all,
For those of you who answered, my deepest appreciation for the time.
Have found an instructor up in Maine (hometown)
who is going to Skype lessons every other week and if needed can pencil me in a little more time when needed.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader

Hello all,

For those of you who answered, my deepest appreciation for the time.
Have found an instructor up in Maine (hometown)
who is going to Skype lessons every other week and if needed can pencil me in a little more time when needed.

And ain't Life grand?!... Ain't it just!! :)

And welcome to The Piping Game!!

All the Best!!

Pip01

Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
DapperDan
Forum Member

Hi Blue -

I'm a fellow trucker - I don't drive long distance anymore, but I used to, so I know all about the "lifestyle." Sigh. Glad that you have lessons lined up. Was going to say, maybe you can arrange something online. I know Piper's Dojo does online classes where you can send in recordings for critique when you're not available at specific times. Sounds like you have it covered though.

I'd be wary of the MME pipes. I had a set (I bought a good practice chanter from someone selling all their bagpipe stuff, and a set of pakistani pipes came with it). I tried it out just to see what it was like, and the bag wasn't airtight, among other problems. You absolutely don't want to try playing a bag that isn't airtight. If things go well with the PC, you might want to invest in a set of plastic pipes - they are high quality, and the cost is reasonable. They also might be more stable if you're playing them in different climates and elevations while on the road. I've wondered how I would handle that if I was driving long distance again and wanted to bring a set of pipes with me.

Years of driving trucks has given me strong hands and nerves, but unfortunately weak core and lungs from all the sitting. I really needed to build wind gradually. That was just my experience, you might have a strong respiratory system. But I'd say cork the drone stocks at first and just try to hold a steady note on the chanter for a minute or two, and give it a try the next day, and so on. There's no hurry, you can continue working on your fingering and tunes on the PC, and practice holding steady tone on the bag bit by bit separately. And make sure the pipe chanter has an easy reed, stick it in some water for a minute first if you have to, if you don't get a sound out of it at first, and don't overly strain if it doesn't seem to be working. The reed that came with the MME pipes might not be functional! I saw one so thick it practically had tree bark on it, and it didn't work.

Best of luck, and safe travels out there on "the big road"
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote