Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bass drone goes out of tune quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post

I play Selbies in my band bagpipe, ABW Dunbar, outstanding tone. You cannot go wrong playing the full set of Selbies.

Cheers -

Wes
Yes,agreed....Ive set up dozens of McCallum band and student pipes with Selbie reds...👍 👌.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
snomingo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Have you checked the reed bridle for cracks? My Kinnaird Evo bass recently had a problem holding tuning, and I discovered the O-ring was cracked on the underside where it rubbed against the carbon tongue. Once I replaced the bridle, the reed sounded as good as new again.
snomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me. My tenor drones stay in tune with the chanter and with each other pretty well (Selbie). However my bass drone always seems to need to be tuned (kinniard original). I had them set to all shut off at the same pressure. I've now moved the bridle to open up the bass and that doesn't seem to be helping. Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Post # 12 here re a cracked O ring bridle being the issue reminded me I have occasionally seen a broken tongue on a Selbie reed. Reed plays ...but poorly and untuneable.
The almost invisible break..or snap.. occurs straight across at the bridle end of the H cut out holding the plastic tongue in place.
Set of inexpensive replacement tongues can be bought from many retailers.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote