Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
mllitz
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Pipers for Hire

After reading the guidelines/rules and searching the threads, I "think" this is where I need to pose my question. I have recently taken over the website/blog "Scottish Wedding Dreams" and in the process of overhauling the design, I would like to include a page that has a list of bagpipers across the country (globe???) who hire out to play events. It will be totally FREE. There will not be any advertising fees to be put on the list. At least while I own the site. The benefit to me is search engine rankings when people search for local pipers to play their events.

My question is two-parts:

1.) Is there any interest from the pipers here in participating in such a thing?

2.) If this isn't the proper group to be asking, where do you recommend I start asking around? For all the groups on Facebook, they seem to be local bands/societies and I really don't want to join 4,327 groups just to get the word out.

I am NOT selling anything, I'm not asking for any money or compensation. I want to promote my website and any pipers who would like to get new piping business.
mllitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Pipers for Hire

Well, I'd be willing to, "put the word out," within the regional Facebook groups I'm a part of. Maybe that's a way, start here and encourage folks who sign-up to spread the word within their own spheres?
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllitz View Post
After reading the guidelines/rules and searching the threads, I "think" this is where I need to pose my question. I have recently taken over the website/blog "Scottish Wedding Dreams" and in the process of overhauling the design, I would like to include a page that has a list of bagpipers across the country (globe???) who hire out to play events. It will be totally FREE. There will not be any advertising fees to be put on the list. At least while I own the site. The benefit to me is search engine rankings when people search for local pipers to play their events.

My question is two-parts:

1.) Is there any interest from the pipers here in participating in such a thing?
KW: There could be. (I hire out for events and have for years)
2.) If this isn't the proper group to be asking, where do you recommend I start asking around? For all the groups on Facebook, they seem to be local bands/societies and I really don't want to join 4,327 groups just to get the word out.

I am NOT selling anything, I'm not asking for any money or compensation. I want to promote my website and any pipers who would like to get new piping business.
So what is your website and how would one sign up?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
mllitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
So what is your website and how would one sign up?
The site is http://www.scottish-wedding-dreams.com (don't expect much, it hasn't been touched since 2011 when my mother-in-law quit updating it. It's getting completely overhauled and moved to Wordpress and should be launched with the new look mid-August)

I don't have a form built yet as I wasn't sure there would be any interest so please email me at mllitz@yahoo.com with:

Name: (can be a business name)
Distance willing to travel:
Base rate:
Mileage rate: (if you charge separately)
Contact number:
Email:
Old 05-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
mllitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
Well, I'd be willing to, "put the word out," within the regional Facebook groups I'm a part of. Maybe that's a way, start here and encourage folks who sign-up to spread the word within their own spheres?
Thank you so much! If you could spread the word, that would be lovely. In the previous reply I have put my contact information along with a list of information I need from the pipers.

If you think it would be of service to bands who do gigs, I am also willing to include them.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

You might also do well to include pipers for funerals. I seem to do more funerals than weddings.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
You might also do well to include pipers for funerals. I seem to do more funerals than weddings.

Maybe not a good match for a site that's about weddings? (Assuming there will be other wedding-specific services listed there)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

millitz,

Sounds a good idea... and I shall be happy to
help spread the word.

Best of Good Luck with it !!

Regards,

Pip01
Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #9
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllitz View Post
I would like to include a page that has a list of bagpipers across the country (globe???) who hire out to play events. It will be totally FREE. There will not be any advertising fees to be put on the list. At least while I own the site. The benefit to me is search engine rankings when people search for local pipers to play their events.
This seems like a great idea. Would it give additional details over and above where people are based, as it would be great to have credentials, level, testimonial or two, or something that indicates standard otherwise it could be anybody that people are engaging, good players or bad.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sounds like a great idea.

I think the Outlander TV show has created the biggest demand for "Scottish weddings" ever.

There are things besides those you've mentioned.

For example, there are wedding venues around here than ban Highland pipes, and only allow quieter bagpipes such as Smallpipes and Uilleann pipes.

Around half my weddings and funerals are wholly, or partly, done on Uilleann pipes. This is either driven by the demand for lower volume, or the client requesting tunes that don't fit on the Highland pipes.

If the client requests tunes that aren't GHB friendly I make the suggestion of playing preservice background music on quieter pipes, and I rotate between uilleann pipes, Scottish smallpipes, and Low Whistle. During that time I play the tunes that don't fit on the Highland pipes.

Then for the Recessional and postservice I'll play the GHB.

In any case, I would have potential pipers list what other "Celtic" instruments they play. Clients ask for uilleann pipes all the time, even for Scottish weddings.

The other thing (touched on above) is the notion of requests. I had long accepted, as part of my job, looking up requests, transposing them for pipes, and sightreading them at the service.

Then I encountered wedding musicians that either refused to do requests outright, or charged extra, say $50 per request. When I thought of the time involved- there were services where the time I spent preparing requests was equal to the service itself- I saw the wisdom in that.

About repertoire, the question "how many songs do you know?" is absurd if a musician is a sightreader. A sightreader doesn't have to "know" (have memorised) anything, but can perform any tune, as long as music can be found.

I've played Disney tunes, Stephen Foster tunes, Andrews Sisters tunes, tunes from movies and TV shows, college fight songs, anything.

Another issue is wedding colours and overall appearance of the piper. It's a big deal to some clients. If I attend the rehearsal I'll bring all my kilts and let the Bride choose. Some Brides want to micro-manage everything including the appearance of musicians and it's good to give her options. On the phone I'll always ask what the wedding colours are. (I got one gig because the client insisted that the piper be "tall with a beard". 6'4" sufficed.)

Another thing is whether the piper charges for rehearsals. It's SOP for musicians to have a fee for attending rehearals, a much lower fee than for the service itself. But many years ago I realised two facts:

1) rehearsals are a waste of time, nobody even knows I'm there, and

2) they take as long as the actual wedding.

So, I began charging the same as I do for the wedding itself. Guess what? I don't have to waste my time at rehearsals any more! (Except the one that paid me to attend THREE rehearsals, for $300 a pop.)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 05-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote