Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Top Pipers' Setup

Hey Guys,

I amhaving trouble locating my file of what some of the pros have been playing (drones, chanter, reed setup etc...).

I find it interesting and like to visit it once in a while to compare to my own findings as I tweak and play.

Anyone have a source or even an updated version of a database of this info? Thanks.

David NY
Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Top Pipers' Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post
Hey Guys,

I amhaving trouble locating my file of what some of the pros have been playing (drones, chanter, reed setup etc...).

I find it interesting and like to visit it once in a while to compare to my own findings as I tweak and play.

Anyone have a source or even an updated version of a database of this info? Thanks.

David NY
I don't know how many top pipers play cane but I think that a first-class setup with cane is still hard to beat. I started with cane in the 1970's and am now returning to cane since I tested Yves Tison "MacTy's" custom-made reeds - none of my pipes being standard he adapts size, length and strength to the individual specs and pitch of the set. The reeds still need time to settle but patience is rewarded with a full sound and rich overtones.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
I don't know how many top pipers play cane but I think that a first-class setup with cane is still hard to beat. I started with cane in the 1970's and am now returning to cane since I tested Yves Tison "MacTy's" custom-made reeds - none of my pipes being standard he adapts size, length and strength to the individual specs and pitch of the set. The reeds still need time to settle but patience is rewarded with a full sound and rich overtones.
Not many (if any) are playing full cane - even a cane bass with synthetic tenors seems to be falling out of favor for full synthetic.

A lot of the top pipers are available to contact through email or Facebook and are usually more than happy to share their setup. A database is nice, but you'll find some of the players have totally different setups from a few years ago, so it's hard to keep updated.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, Fellas.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #5
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Search pipes|drums I'm sure the was a few articles on this very thing
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote