Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
truckco1
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Glen Miniature HB bag options?

Hello all. I acquired a set of D. Glen mini pipes. Just the sticks and pipe chanter. I was led to pipe dreams for the drone reeds and chanter reeds. My question now is what are the bag options that the stocks will fit? Any help would be appreciated.
-Stewart
truckco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Glen Miniature HB bag options?

I got a 100-year-old set of Highland miniature pipes, what I did is buy, from Gibson, the Gore-Tex bag they use on their smallpipes/Fireside pipes.

It's a plain bag so you have to cut the holes, which is what I wanted, due to the tiny stocks.

I also bought a bag-cover from Gibson, their Fireside pipes cover, which works great.

Cocus & Ivory miniature Highland pipes, with original cow-horn mouthpiece, and John Walsh blackwood A=440 chanter

(BTW shouldn't this be in the smallpipe forum?)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-28-2020 at 08:58 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I got a 100-year-old set of Highland miniature pipes, what I did is buy, from Gibson, the Gore-Tex bag they use on their smallpipes/Fireside pipes.

It's a plain bag so you have to cut the holes, which is what I wanted, due to the tiny stocks.

I also bought a bag-cover from Gibson, their Fireside pipes cover, which works great.

Cocus & Ivory miniature Highland pipes, with original cow-horn mouthpiece, and John Walsh blackwood A=440 chanter

(BTW shouldn't this be in the smallpipe forum?)

I ordered custom-made bags and reeds from Julian Goodacre and Andreas Rogge for my miniature sets (two David Glens and a Henderson similar to Panceltic's pipe). Btw, the David Glen's reed seats are too small for standard Eezeedrone reeds, and since I play the Henderson with a tiny conical Highland chanter of the same vintage which plays in C, matching drone reeds had to be made.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
truckco1
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thank you both for your advice. Pipe dreams sent me an email saying their small pipe drone reeds will fit? I assume they will play at A? Not sure. They also advised that a strong practice chanter reed will work in the pipe chanter?
truckco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
I play the Henderson with a tiny conical Highland chanter of the same vintage which plays in C.
Thanks for that! It explains the reed trouble I was having!

My miniature pipes came with no chanter, which was fine, because I wanted a modern A=440 Scottish Smallpipe chanter anyhow.

When I stuck reeds in the drones, some mini cane reeds I happened to have, and EzeeDrone smallpipe reeds, they played very sharp, in C! I had no idea that they made tiny C chanters back then.

In any case I needed the drones to play much lower, in A, and what did the trick was a set of EzeeDrone D uilleann pipe reeds.

Strange I know, but the EzeeDrone uilleann reeds, designed to give D, gave a perfect A=440 in these drones, tuning in the nice pin positions you see in the photo, reliable to strike in, and perfectly stable.

BTW some might question the wood of my miniature pipes, and I think it was the wood that put off rival Ebay buyers. (I was the only bidder.)

However I have played and seen a large number of 19th century cocus London-made flutes and I know how the wood colour can vary in the same instrument. For many years I played a c1860 London-made cocus flute, all sections original with matching stamps, yet the footjoint was mid-brown while the other sections were near-black. Whenever anyone would look at that flute they would say "replacement foot?" and I would show them the matching stamps.

So the fact that the various sections of this miniature set are those various colours doesn't make me think that it's a Frankenpipe.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-30-2020 at 10:05 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Thanks for that! It explains the reed trouble I was having!

My miniature pipes came with no chanter, which was fine, because I wanted a modern A=440 Scottish Smallpipe chanter anyhow.

When I stuck reeds in the drones, some mini cane reeds I happened to have, and EzeeDrone smallpipe reeds, they played very sharp, in C! I had no idea that they made tiny C chanters back then.

In any case I needed the drones to play much lower, in A, and what did the trick was a set of EzeeDrone D uilleann pipe reeds.

Strange I know, but the EzeeDrone uilleann reeds, designed to give D, gave a perfect A=440 in these drones, tuning in the nice pin positions you see in the photo, reliable to strike in, and perfectly stable.

BTW some might question the wood of my miniature pipes, and I think it was the wood that put off rival Ebay buyers. (I was the only bidder.)

However I have played and seen a large number of 19th century cocus London-made flutes and I know how the wood colour can vary in the same instrument. For many years I played a c1860 London-made cocus flute, all sections original with matching stamps, yet the footjoint was mid-brown while the other sections were near-black. Whenever anyone would look at that flute they would say "replacement foot?" and I would show them the matching stamps.

So the fact that the various sections of this miniature set are those various colours doesn't make me think that it's a Frankenpipe.
Cocus can indeed vary from nearly black to reddish brown, and the lighter varieties are mostly consistent with the latest 20th-century sets made from this type of wood (not only because older wood had more time to darken). If all the parts of your pipes are authentic the maker would probably have used spares and discarded turning squares from various other sets. Take a very close look with a manifying glass and check if the profile of all the combing and beading was made with the very same tool. As for the tiny C chanters and high-pitched cane done reeds, I have no period reference to miniature pipes being played in C with a "highland style" chanter but I have found two Victorian specimens of this chanter type, which was obviously rare but not entirely unusual. This being said I cannot remember having seen it anywhere else.