Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cleaning up old pipes?

Looks like it's a race between the two of us; mine are still in the queue, too.

Do you know yet if they are cocus wood, not that it matters overall?
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Pufpastry
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

It's unlikely that they're cocuswood, simply due to the combination of make and age, however, they could be. It's more likely that they're ABW or Ebony. I'll find out once the varnish comes off.
Pufpastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #23
Pufpastry

So, I got the pipes back from W. Sinclair and Son and, to say I am happy would be an understatement. I found out that the blowpipe is not original (most likely J&R Glen, Edinburgh), of all the parts to have been replaced it is the least of my concern - I'll be using an Airstream with a split-stock anyway! As far as could be told, the rest of the parts are original.

I've added the photos to the original album:
http://imgur.com/a/VFauQ#9

Sound:

I will eventually get around to making a recording. For the last week and a half I've been playing the drones with my old stocks and chanter with my old reeds and they sounded great, a good solid sound, very steady (they don't shift much at all while playing). Just today I received my X-Treme standard drone reeds. Got them set up, the sound was something else, totally different to the McCallum, MG tenor, and Henderson bass set up; on the whole a little more emphasis is given to the tenors which delivers a much more balanced sound. I've yet to find a reed that will work in the chanter.

Look and Feel:

Loving the vintage full ivory look, since the ivory was buffed (not skimmed) it has retained its aged look. The combing is much finer than on my McCallum pipes. The weight was something I did not notice until I was handling them as an instrument; they weigh considerably more than my McCallums. I forgot to ask what wood they are made from... Most likely ABW.

All in all?..

<3! I look forward to playing them in the band next season, hell, I may even play some solos...

Just in case any one feels I've talked negatively about McCallum pipes, so I should clarify, McCallums are great instruments and I in no way wish to damage their reputation, I've played them since 2011 without any problems (great customer service btw). It's just that they are the only instrument I had to compare with.

tl;dr: See pics, pipes are beyond great.
Pufpastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #24
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Let me be the first here to congratulate you on getting your pipes back -- they look splendid and I am I'll bet they sound better than fine.

I've had my Henderson's back from Dunbar for a few weeks now and they are my favorite pipes (pics on my site below): a rich, refined umbrella-like tone with lot's of harmonics. I am currently using Kinnaird Evolution drone reeds and they are big and bold but smooth and almost cane-like with no buzz (I've been playing my buddy's mid-century Henderson's with cane). These pipes have been paired to my 470 Hz Gael chanter and there's lot's of colour at the lower pitch, which is lkely closer to where these pipes have been playing most of their life.

That said, like you, my band pipes are (2011) McCallums and I find no fault with the sound or workmanship; a big, rich tone and effortless to play. They are my workhorse pipes.

Back to your restored Henderson's: how about indulging us with some close-ups of your vintage Henderson's on a white background so we can see details of the work?

Last edited by HighlandPark; 06-04-2015 at 09:12 AM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #25
TheAmericanScot

I have a question for anyone who has any idea on this, I have a very old set of Peter Henderson bagpipes that need to be fully restored, due to the fact that it has old ivory mountings I do not wish to go through the trouble of declaring them as old ivory to customs when I ship them out. So is there anyone in the US that can fully restore a set of old bagpipes? I have heard of House of Bagpipes in California but I would like to do some research on my options and possibilities.
TheAmericanScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #26
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmericanScot View Post

I have a very old set of Peter Henderson bagpipes that need to be fully restored,
.... restored?..parts missing ,broken,cracked etc ...or refinished?.....which might be nicely done by simply cleaning up the wood with a good go of carnuba wood wax a few times. If the ivory is in good shape...little to do there..though I myself have cleaned up ivory considerably with a solution given to me by an old piano refinisher ( ivory keys) some years ago.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #27
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Roddy MacLellan is your man.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, Pufpastry, and to All,

Adding to the chorus... Congratulations on your pipes!! :)

Unless I simply missed it... whilst re-going through the Thread...
are they ABW... Cocus... or other??

They appear to be ABW,,, but I thought I would ask...

Regards... and again... Congratulation!!

Pip01

Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #29
TheAmericanScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
.... restored?..parts missing ,broken,cracked etc ...or refinished?.....which might be nicely done by simply cleaning up the wood with a good go of carnuba wood wax a few times. If the ivory is in good shape...little to do there..though I myself have cleaned up ivory considerably with a solution given to me by an old piano refinisher ( ivory keys) some years ago.
There are no parts missing, all the parts are there, the great drone has some cracks that run clean through and I can hear and feel air rushing through when I plug off the pieces and blow through them. Since the set had been sitting in a basement in Virginia they were in a damp place and then brought to Idaho where it is rather arid. So with this in mind I was wondering where I could send them within the US so I don't have to declare them to customs without getting confiscated.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #30
TheAmericanScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
Roddy MacLellan is your man.
Where would he be at? Could you send an Address?