Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #21
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New set by Pierre Blanchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochaberaxe View Post
The wood is Mopani, ferrules, buttons and ringcaps of recycled ivory (old ivory pool balls), mouthpiece made of horn.

Importance of details is a must and a specific tool was made by Pierre Blanchet to make exact combing and beading:

Internal dimensions are specific to Donald MacDonald and no less than 6 reamers were necessary to make the chanter.
The other turning blank with the inscription "Malcolm MacGregor" is for a reproduction of a set of the same vintage, also in my keeping (on virtual display in Ringo Bowen's web museum), made around 1815 by Malcolm MacGregor, London, who made the prize pipe for the annual contest of the HSL fom 1812 to 1815. This set is quite different, all drone sections parts are proportionally longer than the MacDonald's. The excellent original chanter is also quite different from the MacDonald type, unfortunately a copy would be much too time-consuming. Pierre has made wonderful reproductions of this set, in brazilwood and real ivory, in snakewood and real horn, and in mopani with imitation ivory...
Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #22
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

I remember some months before Glenurqhart found his Donald MacDonald I was also interested by his Malcolm MacGregor...

They are people sometime they give you the opportunity to believe in Santa Claus and I am lucky to know one like Glenurqhart!
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #23
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I remember some months before Glenurqhart found his Donald MacDonald I was also interested by his Malcolm MacGregor...

They are people sometime they give you the opportunity to believe in Santa Claus and I am lucky to know one like Glenurqhart!
Thanks for your kind words. I am as grateful as you, to find, identify and study such instruments is a privilege (you found one yourself last year) and it is very important to make exact reproductions available to the piping community. Comparing the MacGregor pipes to the MacDonald's, the latter have a brighter sound and were probably the better choice for your project.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Sorry for the photo that is not that nice but as I am on my way to the hospital soon I shouldn't go outside to get a cold.

So I just received after waiting for six months the very good reeds that fit the pipes and made by very good friend McTy:

Tenor reed is 11 cm long!

I was supposed to come to McTy's home sweet home to test reeds and find the best ones and eventually test also elder ones for the bass drone, but unfortunately and despite all my efforts not able any more to drive more than 10 minutes before pain comes to be unsustainable so I couldn't drive the 400 miles necessary so.

By phone McTy and myself have talked a number of times to see what kind of cane reeds could help the drones that is in Bb 450 to fit with the chanter that is Bb430 and this is a winner!

Last edited by Lochaberaxe; 01-02-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #25
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Sorry for the photo that is not that nice but as I am on my way to the hospital soon I shouldn't go outside to get a cold.

So I just received after waiting for six months the very good reeds that fit the pipes and made by very good friend McTy:

Tenor reed is 11 cm long!

I was supposed to come to McTy's home sweet home to test reeds and find the best ones and eventually test also elder ones for the bass drone, but unfortunately and despite all my efforts not able any more to drive more than 10 minutes before pain comes to be unsustainable so I couldn't drive the 400 miles necessary so.

By phone McTy and myself have talked a number of times to see what kind of cane reeds could help the drones that is in Bb 450 to fit with the chanter that is Bb430 and this is a winner!
All the best for your health. I have ordered the same set from Pierre Blanchet but it will certainly take him a long time to work up his backlog. I am glad that you found the right reeds, the original drones have the same problem. It is a very interesting instrument with "early" characteristics. The original drones are unstable (old cracks) so the reproduction will probaby closer to the original sound.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #26
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
I am glad that you found the right reeds, the original drones have the same problem. It is a very interesting instrument with "early" characteristics. The original drones are unstable (old cracks) so the reproduction will probaby closer to the original sound.
I am playing with the Donald MacDonald chanter replica but this one is not really like the original as it has been "modernized" to fit with todays musical scale; I use two different origins chanter reeds made with 1" staples (one is McTy and the other the "mysterious reed wizard) but still looking after perfect settings.

But it sounds is very tonic and powerful and set in Bb430 like the original one.

So this is more like a "Blanchet" chanter...based on the Donald MacDonald one I suppose.

Drones and chanter match perfectly together and make a huge sound full of harmonics; I would like to record but my Zoom is somewhere in the moving so I got to buy a new one on ebay.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #27
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Can't wait to hear your sound file!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #28
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I love this line of work, recreating wonderful early sets.

This set has always appealed to me, and I've long wanted a set that reproduces it's external appearance.

The bass drone's affinity with that of the Gaita seems obvious

while those tenors have a slight Durer affinity

That early Highland set strikes my eye as a hybrid, the bass and tenors coming from two different visual aesthetics.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-07-2017 at 06:05 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Will try soon to record some sort of decent sound...
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #30
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Wow, Pierre does some amazing looking work. I bet they sound great too!
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote