Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 AM   #31
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Default Re: New set by Pierre Blanchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTaitz View Post
Wow, Pierre does some amazing looking work. I bet they sound great too!
Yes Nicholas they sound great just like original when it was made some 200 years ago.
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #32
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I love this line of work, recreating wonderful early sets.

This set has always appealed to me, and I've long wanted a set that reproduces it's external appearance.

The bass drone's affinity with that of the Gaita seems obvious

while those tenors have a slight Durer affinity

That early Highland set strikes my eye as a hybrid, the bass and tenors coming from two different visual aesthetics.
This Highland set at Dunrobin castle is obviously a Victorian imaginative "reconstruction", very elaborate in a fancy style unseen on authentic pipes, but very lovely as such. It reflects the romantic vision of the ancient pre-1745 days which became fashionable after Scott published Waverleyin 1814 (if I am not mistaken). I would not mind a reproduction of these pipes myself but it would be very expensive.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #33
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
This Highland set at Dunrobin castle is obviously a Victorian imaginative "reconstruction"
Interesting, and puzzling to me.

Were Victorian Scots knowledgeable about the details of construction of Galician Gaitas? (It strikes me as too similar to be coincidence.)

And why did they follow the Galician design for the bass only? Since the Highland pipes familiar to the Victorians had bass and tenors which stylistically matched, why would they imagine an early set as having bass and tenors looking completely different from each other?

When we imagine the past we project into the past things familiar to us in the present. It's incongruity with what's familiar to us which is often the hallmark of authenticity.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #34
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Interesting, and puzzling to me.

Were Victorian Scots knowledgeable about the details of construction of Galician Gaitas? (It strikes me as too similar to be coincidence.)

And why did they follow the Galician design for the bass only? Since the Highland pipes familiar to the Victorians had bass and tenors which stylistically matched, why would they imagine an early set as having bass and tenors looking completely different from each other?

When we imagine the past we project into the past things familiar to us in the present. It's incongruity with what's familiar to us which is often the hallmark of authenticity.
You may be right and I would be grateful for solid arguments that could prove the authenticity of the Dunrobin pipes. But incongruity alone does not prove anything, quite on the contrary, since it is very often deliberately and more or less intelligently orchestrated in order to make a fake "credible" - how many people have wasted good money on seemingly "authentic" antiques relying on incongruous-looking details alone? The famous J. Glen fake of a "15th-century" bagpipe in the NMS with bogus restorations (chanter whipped with worn and used thread) , "modern" stocks made from different and contrasting materials and a mismatched "old-looking" blowpipe is a perfectly eloquent example that was universally taken for granted for more than a century. The illustrated J&R Glen catalog from the late 1927s shows surprising options for "antique"-looking pipes made from local woods, bone and horn which could be custom-ordered as late as after WW1.

Victorian bagpipe scholars and collectors were perfecty aware of the Gaita, the famous A. Duncan Fraser, collector and author of an encyclopaedic book on bagpipes, ordered fancy restorations as well as modern reconstructions of "antique" bagpipes.

Different bass and tenor bells are, of course, no unusual feature with early pipes - bellows-blown pipes as a matter of fact, and when a two-drone Highland pipe had a bass drone added at a later date (I have such a set). But in the case of the Dunrobin's there is no such contrast between the bass and the tenors, the overall style blends too nicely. The top of the Dunrobin bass could have been directly inspired by the famous Watt portrait of Grant's piper, painted in the 1730's. In any case the chanter, blowpipe and stocks of the Dunrobin set would be a retrofit.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #35
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

New photos as Springtime on the fisrt days of that week has interrupted winter :

Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #36
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Thanks to McTy (The Blue Sound) the Donald MacDonald replica is now performing with its original sound and full elder drone reeds:

Sound sample link :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rm9u74wt7...0McTy.WAV?dl=0
Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #37
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just lovely, Lochaberaxe: the pipes are beautiful, and pipes at a low pitch like that, i.e., 445ish, are very compelling in tone, especially in a old cathedral!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

This one was recorded in an old church of the 15th century with an Alexander Glen circa 1847, elder drone reeds and "The Blue Sound" chanter reed in a Kron:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi37yb3egj...%20YT.WAV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahvmi9bb8e...M0008.WAV?dl=0

Last edited by Lochaberaxe; 04-29-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #39
JeremyKingsbury
Forum Member

That's some lovely piping, how can I get in touch with the pipe maker?

https://www.wetootwaag.com/
JeremyKingsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #40
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochaberaxe View Post
This one was recorded in an old church of the 15th century with an Alexander Glen circa 1847, elder drone reeds and "The Blue Sound" chanter reed in a Kron:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi37yb3egj...%20YT.WAV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahvmi9bb8e...M0008.WAV?dl=0

Wwwwooooowww

Those recordings are incredible! I listened to them twice through with headphones on. Very haunting, excellent playing. This is a fantastic thread.