Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Donald MacDonald Pastoral pipes

Are there any suviving (stamped) Donald MacDonald pastoral pipes other than the specimen on loan in the College of Piping Museum, which is not 100% original? I know of at least five authentic Hugh Robertson sets but of no other MacDonald. I would be delighted to see pictures if there are any. Thanks for your input
Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Donald MacDonald Pastoral pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
Are there any suviving (stamped) Donald MacDonald pastoral pipes other than the specimen on loan in the College of Piping Museum, which is not 100% original? I know of at least five authentic Hugh Robertson sets but of no other MacDonald. I would be delighted to see pictures if there are any. Thanks for your input
PS- the kind of pipes that I am looking for are usually described as Union pipes, so do you know of any Union pipes made by Donald MacDonald?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
PS- the kind of pipes that I am looking for are usually described as Union pipes, so do you know of any Union pipes made by Donald MacDonald?
Well if you mean a common stock and some early keyed drones then yes, I published some pictures with measurements of the 'wreck' of one owned by the McAlisters of Glenbarr in Kintyre some years ago in Common Stock volume 9 number 2 (Dec 1994).

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Sanger View Post
Well if you mean a common stock and some early keyed drones then yes, I published some pictures with measurements of the 'wreck' of one owned by the McAlisters of Glenbarr in Kintyre some years ago in Common Stock volume 9 number 2 (Dec 1994).

Keith
Thank you Keith, do you eventually have a pdf file of your article that you could send me? I'll send you an email.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I just got the Donald MacDonald Pastoral Pipes back from restoration by Andreas Rogge, who made a precise replica of the entire instrument and of the three antique chanters that came with the set. He is very happy with the result, the sound is amazing, deep and warm. Andreas Rogge did do a great job with the missing treble drone that he reconstructed, and with the missing chanter foot. He also made a new bag, reeds, and a blowpipe, visually matched and hardly detectable as retrofits. The setup is extremely air-efficient and pressure-friendly. The chanter in the picture plays two fully chromatic octaves. I believe that the reproduction (A. Rogge prefers his copy of a different chanter) might be available in a near future. It appears that there are only two surviving MacDonald Pastoral pipes, and this one is now the only playable set, the other one from the Scottish West coast being incomplete and damaged. Thanks to Andreas Rogge we now have a truly wonderful and inspiring original instrument.

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...9ec1q.jpg.html

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...dk42v.jpg.html

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...v6h21.jpg.html

Old 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Tjones79
Forum Member

Quote:
I just got the Donald MacDonald Pastoral Pipes back from restoration by Andreas Rogge, who made a precise replica of the entire instrument and of the three antique chanters that came with the set. He is very happy with the result, the sound is amazing, deep and warm. Andreas Rogge did do a great job with the missing treble drone that he reconstructed, and with the missing chanter foot. He also made a new bag, reeds, and a blowpipe, visually matched and hardly detectable as retrofits. The setup is extremely air-efficient and pressure-friendly. The chanter in the picture plays two fully chromatic octaves. I believe that the reproduction (A. Rogge prefers his copy of a different chanter) might be available in a near future. It appears that there are only two surviving MacDonald Pastoral pipes, and this one is now the only playable set, the other one from the Scottish West coast being incomplete and damaged. Thanks to Andreas Rogge we now have a truly wonderful and inspiring original instrument.

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...9ec1q.jpg.html

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...dk42v.jpg.html

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Gle...v6h21.jpg.html

I'm having trouble seeing the photos ~ Is there a way to see them without signing into photobucket ?

I'd love to hear a sound sample! I have a pastoral pipe by Lejeune (a copy with modifications of a Hugh Robertson's set) and it would be great to compare them to the sound of yours.
Tjones79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjones79 View Post
I'm having trouble seeing the photos ~ Is there a way to see them without signing into photobucket ?

I'd love to hear a sound sample! I have a pastoral pipe by Lejeune (a copy with modifications of a Hugh Robertson's set) and it would be great to compare them to the sound of yours.
I am sorry for the link to the pictures, Photobucket refuses to publish them on a different "third party" website.
Andreas Rogge has recorded the pipes, I'll ask him if he is going to upload the clip somewhere.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
I am sorry for the link to the pictures, Photobucket refuses to publish them on a different "third party" website.
They will if you upgrade to the $100 level of membership. Interesting business plan. It's wiped out lots of photos on various forums and discussion groups across the internet.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bliven View Post
They will if you upgrade to the $100 level of membership. Interesting business plan. It's wiped out lots of photos on various forums and discussion groups across the internet.

Best wishes.

Steve
Yes, $100 is a bit too much - people will probably desert photobucket and link to facebook posts. I should do that too.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Yes, $100 is a bit too much - people will probably desert photobucket and link to facebook posts. I should do that too.
We're drifting quite far from the original thread, but I've been using postimage.org in lieu of Photobucket after their policy change. It works well for short-term posting.

Best wishes.

Steve