Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
macdaddy65
Forum Clasp

Default Unique Pipes

I didn't notice this when watching on my phone, but when I put it on the big screen, I noticed the mounts on the first piper's pipes are very interesting (IMHO, of course). Has anybody seen anything like these before? Any idea what it could be? I wonder if this is a really old set...

https://youtu.be/IPrMT5Bv8Y4
Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Unique Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy65 View Post
I didn't notice this when watching on my phone, but when I put it on the big screen, I noticed the mounts on the first piper's pipes are very interesting (IMHO, of course). Has anybody seen anything like these before? Any idea what it could be? I wonder if this is a really old set...

https://youtu.be/IPrMT5Bv8Y4
Probably serious vintage given the tuning height of the bsss drone...indicating old(er) pipes with a bass tone much flatter then these days.
The outside tenor top top Bush appears to have been replaced.
The mounts style is indicative of some maker old(er) pipes...Glen ,Robertson, others.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Looks like one of the tenor projecting mounts fell off and was put back on upside down!

You see pipes on Ebay like that sometimes, with upside down mounts.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

All that aside, I've never seen someone retune in the middle of an MSR! I guess it's allowed in some venues; just haven't seen it myself.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
All that aside, I've never seen someone retune in the middle of an MSR! I guess it's allowed in some venues; just haven't seen it myself.
It'll be a M and a SR, instead of an MSR
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
In the states the S/R is a separate event from the M..so tuning between them would be ok....also,.. IIRC each event ( euspba rules) is to be adjudicated at a different venue in the compete area and with a different judge. donít know about WUSPBA or others.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
macdaddy65
Forum Clasp

To me, it almost looks like some kind of coral...jagged...not smooth...
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
In the states the S/R is a separate event from the M..so tuning between them would be ok....also,.. IIRC each event ( euspba rules) is to be adjudicated at a different venue in the compete area and with a different judge. donít know about WUSPBA or others.
Thanks. We're under BCPA in the NW, and the event is an MSR. There is, of course, a separate SR event in some grades here, though I'm not familiar with an M, then SR (with tuning in between) in the same event; so I appreciate the education about other venues.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Looks like her mounts have been gnawed on. Sure enjoyed her playing.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Thanks. We're under BCPA in the NW, and the event is an MSR. There is, of course, a separate SR event in some grades here, though I'm not familiar with an M, then SR (with tuning in between) in the same event; so I appreciate the education about other venues.
Actually here ( I forgot) the games might hold a straight MSR contest for the professional level Pipers. You can find the EUSPBA RULES on line ...the rules I looked at only stretched into playing year 2017. There may have been other tweaking since. ...eg .i was wrong about requiring a separate venue for separate M & SR ..but a different judge yes..